Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Gift ideas for Aspergers-ish older gent please

(10 Posts)
Buckets Mon 18-Aug-08 11:31:32

My dad is 64 this week, probably has Aspergers (retired engineer, computer boffin, DIY 'innovator', about 3 emotions, superstrong and feels no pain, currently re-concreting my patio for fun) like my DS. I've not been organised enough this year to find out in advance what incredibly specific thing he actually wants and order it, due to having a baby the other week. Similarly at Xmas I was puking too much to do more than buy him some interesting meat from the butcher and some posh chocolate.

What do you get your adult AS rellies or indeed your NT dads and FILs?

cyberseraphim Mon 18-Aug-08 11:51:19

My brother loves popular science books - explaining the universe in great detail etc

coppertop Mon 18-Aug-08 12:12:48

Dh loves little gadgets. His current favourite is a keyring thing with bubblewrap buttons that you can pop. Here.

He also loves his tornado lamp or any other 'stimmy' things that he can sit and watch.

Books on his obscure obsessions are also popular too.

Seuss Mon 18-Aug-08 12:17:25

subscription to 'Focus' magazine or similar

Troutpout Mon 18-Aug-08 16:42:31

A weather station ?
Fil was boring me senseless bending my ear the other day about rainfall (and how he was measuring it in his garden) and weather systems the other day..so that is my next birthday idea

Troutpout Mon 18-Aug-08 16:45:02

Ooh coppertop...ds would love that!
perfect stocking filler..ta!

Buckets Mon 18-Aug-08 18:03:09

Thanks.

LOL he's already got one of his computers hooked up to a weather station (and another hooked up to a woodturning lathe thingy in the garage <<eyeroll>>.)

That Focus mag looks interesting, he used to get National Geographic (officially for me) when I was doing GCSEs. Is it grown up enough? The BBC label makes me think it's a bit schoolish but I know nothing.

coppertop Mon 18-Aug-08 18:33:31

Dh has digital weather station thingies too. We also have a house full of clocks, which all show different times to each other.

TotalChaos Mon 18-Aug-08 18:52:51

I was going to suggest popular science too. Or subscription to New Scientist.

Seuss Mon 18-Aug-08 19:39:53

New Scientist probably nearer the mark than Focus I should think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now