Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dd1 (AS) and wanting to win/be first at evrything

(4 Posts)
Marne Fri 15-Aug-08 15:44:44

Dd1 is driving me nuts, i know she cant help it as she has AS but she turns evrything into a race

Going up the stairs to bed
Walking down the path
Packing away her toys
Eating her dinner
et...etc..

She thinks evrything is a race and she needs to be the winner. Yesterday she had a meltdown at the park as children were getting on the climbing frame and going down the slide before her, i tried to explain how its not a race and going on the slide/climbing frame is a fun thing to do but not a race but she still got upset. After a while my friend manageg to get her on the climbing frame, she stopped half way across and told the little girl behind her that she could go first as she did'nt mind not winning because she was playing a new game where the person who comes 2nt wins. hmm

How can i get it through to her that its not all about winning?

Im not looking forward to sports day next year, i can see there will be teers.

Seuss Fri 15-Aug-08 16:16:36

changing the rules is v. clever and v. funny!grin

my youngest two are doing this with each other at the moment - we quite often end up doing things twice so they can both win.

Tclanger Fri 15-Aug-08 16:59:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Widemouthfrog Fri 15-Aug-08 17:06:55

All very familiar. I change rules too -as long as I can give a rule my DS will accept not winning. We bumped into his friend, a neighbour, on the way home the other day and he started to scream because he wasn't winning (they were ahead of us)- I pointed out she was going to a different house to him so he was still winning the race to his house and thankfully it worked. keeps you on your toes for sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now