Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Carer's Allowance & Pay question

(7 Posts)
tellyaddict Tue 12-Aug-08 21:07:27

Hi All,

my first time posting on this board, so hello to everyone. I'm mum of 3 boys, the eldest is on the autistic spectrum.

I'm claiming for Carer's for the first time and wondered if anyone could tell me what the rules are on pay - ie. I know you are allowed to earn £95 per week, but if you go over for a few weeks do you lose the benefit entirely, just for that week etc? Also, what happens if you have a job that is term-time only, are you still only allowed to earn £95 per week or can you earn more so long as over the year your average pay isn't more than the threshold?

Thanks in advance for any help, I've some decisions to make based on what the rules turn out to be, so any advice greatly appreciated. grin

TakeMeHome Tue 12-Aug-08 23:07:32

Can't help really, just wanted to bump for you as I've just applied for carer's allowance for my ds too. Waiting to see what happens !

Sidge Tue 12-Aug-08 23:11:41

Heck sorry I can't help, but I'll be interested to see any replies as my situation is changing next month. I currently get CA but start a new, termtime only job, and after childcare will earn less than the £95 a week but that's after childcare for my youngest, and not the child who gets DLA so I don't know if it will count.

I believe you have to earn under £95 each week, but don't quote me. Probably best to call and ask them.

TakeMeHome Tue 12-Aug-08 23:16:18

I did call the helpline before I applied, and they were really nice. It's worth a try, as that is what they are there for.

Do keep us posted tellyaddict !!

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 13-Aug-08 09:22:55

I work term-time and claim CA. Most school based term time jobs pay over 12 months (so you get paid during the summer even though you're not working) I keep mine under the £95. I'd be interested in what they say about a yearly average though.

tellyaddict Wed 13-Aug-08 18:05:54

Thanks for your responses, I'll need to call them tomorrow anyway, so I'll ask them and let you all know smile

tellyaddict Tue 26-Aug-08 17:40:36

Hi again,

sorry for the delay in responding for those of you who were waiting for an answer - I did call the carers people and basically you can't earn over £95 per week full stop, they don't average it out over the year even if you don't get paid every week of the year (ie term time only).

I wonder how it works if you are self-employed, I suppose you'd have to pay yourself £95 each week and no more.

Oh well, I'll wait and see what their decision is and then decide about working later, my child comes first.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now