Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

barium swallow ordeal

(13 Posts)
sarah293 Tue 12-Aug-08 11:43:48

Message withdrawn

FioFio Tue 12-Aug-08 11:56:22

Message withdrawn

MmeLindt Tue 12-Aug-08 11:56:57

Your poor DD, how frustrating and traumatic for her. And for you. angry at the radiographer for you and DD.

Do you have the results of the tests back, was it "worth" it?

BriocheDoree Tue 12-Aug-08 12:02:39

Your poor DD. Funny how some medical professionals who work with kids are just wonderful (thinking of the doctor who had to deal with DD the one time I took her into casualty) and some who have NO IDEA. Hope the radiographer got really soaked!! Hope your DD is OK now and not too traumatised. Reminds me of the time DD had to have some stitches taken out of her chin and the nurse thought it odd that she wouldn't lie still on the bed while she approached her face with a giant pair of scissors!

sarah293 Tue 12-Aug-08 12:05:51

Message withdrawn

MmeLindt Tue 12-Aug-08 12:14:05

Poor soul. I have a 4yo DS and he would struggle to comprehend what your DD is going through. I don't think that many children, regardless of SN or not, bright or not, would be understanding of these tests.

You would think that the staff would be better trained/more compassionate with small children.

sarah293 Tue 12-Aug-08 16:04:28

Message withdrawn

GalanthusNivalis Tue 12-Aug-08 17:53:49

When my DD was 4 she had a pharyngoplasty. She had already had grommets in and adenoids out (two separate ops). She knew enough about ops to know she hated the 'magic' cream they put on the back of her hands! I had to get them to do it after the anaesthetic. It was very difficult to explain to her what was happening - the 'Doctor will make you better' thing wasn't going to work since there wasn't anything wrong with her! After the op she wouldn't eat or drink for a week -even when I tried to tell her she wouldn't be allowed to go home 'til she did! I don't think she could really process the info TBH - she is (more or less) NT but depends on the child and their development I suppose!

Tclanger Tue 12-Aug-08 17:58:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

glitteryb6 Tue 12-Aug-08 18:02:32

Ds had his barium swallow and pH study a few weeks back, took ages and he hated it but it showed up that all his bits are in the right place and was also useful to see that only a wee tiny bit went down the wrong way and he didnt choke or anything.
The pH study did show up silent reflux so when we get his button fitted we are also having the fundo done....yay no more puking!
He is now on the waiting list and apparently it should be done around October.

sarah293 Tue 12-Aug-08 18:06:18

Message withdrawn

NineYearsOfNappies Tue 12-Aug-08 19:55:08

I'm so sorry. Not much help but the staff who do dds barium stuff are wonderful with her. Except they've just cancelled tomorrow's as the machine is broken.

Hope the rest is much less of an ordeal.

PhProbe was never a prob for dd - or not once it was down. Passing it is horrid, like a regular NG tube. And then an xray to check position. But after that provided it isn't pulled out she didn't notice it was there at all - just carried on as usual.

we stayed in the 1st time just because we couldn't be bothered to go home really - she puked so regularly we knew we'd be back several times to get it repassed. But then she didn't puke it up so after that we've always just had it placed and gone home for 24 hours.

glitteryb6 Tue 12-Aug-08 21:51:26

pH probe was up the nose and in in a matter of seconds, he wasnt best pleased though but once it was in he was fine, we did have to stay in overnight but the hospital let us come and go from the ward as we liked and the wee bugger slept all night without a peep...something he never does at home!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now