Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How's the AS summer going?

(43 Posts)
Flamesparrow Tue 12-Aug-08 09:00:29

grin

DD is better in some ways because she is not so tired, but we are having sooooooooooo many whiney shrieky episodes - whereas before she would be upset that DS bit her (quite reasonable) she is now reaching the same fever pitch with him standing too near hmm

I have tried to keep things as planned as possible - she knows a few days in advance of things happening, bedtime is the same etc. All in all, not going too badly!

She is asking for school though!

LeonieD Tue 12-Aug-08 09:37:11

Message withdrawn

jenk1 Tue 12-Aug-08 09:42:16

DS is extremely moody and kicking off every single day over something or nothing, he plays out for a while but then retreats to our bedroom to watch the sky tv and wind down, his friend was in yesterday playing and he said right im not playing now im chilling so you,ll have to go home!!!

hes not been so bad though, DD is worse than him, shes terrible, goodness knows what she will be like when she starts school in september.

Flamesparrow Tue 12-Aug-08 09:49:14

Leonie - I dunno if it will help, but I was worried about DD last summer for the same reasons (I didn't realise until the end of the holidays that she thought her pre-school teachers would be with her still because they were at all the settling in sessions for reception). She thrived once she got to school though - all that routine etc. It did help though that preschool run the after school club - we enrolled her in that for a session a week so that she got the preschool element too.

Baby being due - we had the same when DD was starting in preschool. She went off me completely, wanted none of me. DS she was besotted with, and daddy became the best thing in the world ever. I was amazed how easy it was tbh, but I don't know how much of that was that unless she wanted to do something with him, he wasn't in her way etc, he didn't really encroach on her life.

I'm more worried about NT DS when/if I have another - he is a mummy's boy velcro baby, god knows how he will deal with sharing me!!!

Flamesparrow Tue 12-Aug-08 10:39:51

spoke too soon. i now want to sell her

coppertop Tue 12-Aug-08 10:55:11

The joys of the summer holidays.

Things seem to be calming down a little bit here. Ds1 (8) was generally miserable for the first two weeks. Every tiny thing upset him and he hardly ate anything. He seems to find the period of adjustment between school and holidays very difficult.

He's a lot happier now, although I still get lots of "If today was a school day I would be in the playground now/ getting ready to go home/ be in assembly."

Of course we've got it all to go through again in the first 2 weeks of term in September while he gets used to being back. hmm

Ds2 (5) seems to be in permanent hyper-mode. Lots of manic running up and down and jumping off things. Dd (2) thinks it's great and chases after him with her own ear splitting shrieks cries of joy.

My ears are ringing.

Buckets Tue 12-Aug-08 13:06:54

I had baby#3 last week and still can't sit down so DH is in charge of the big kids & housework for 3wks, couldn't have timed it better! Consequently TV is on constantly, making me feel guilty (though DS(3) goes totally hyper and shrieky at Tom & Jerry, it's nice to see him that emotional) and my parents have done a few sleepovers. All very unsettled here but DS has never been bothered about routine, he is v chilled out for an Aspie, generally too busy in his own world to dwell on RL thingssmile.
Leonie, he's quite soppy about his baby brother btw, although not that interested and won't kiss him LOL. I suspect he's just saying what he thinks is appropriate, not what he actually feels- 'Baby Kurt is sooooo cute' in a squeaky voice etc grin.

twocutedarlings Tue 12-Aug-08 13:08:18

Not to bad here so far!! but my DD is always better when at home grin Thank God!!.

Dreading the start back to school though sad thankfully she will still be with the same teacher, but it a mixed R/Y1 class so there will be lots of new faces.

twocutedarlings Tue 12-Aug-08 13:10:47

Congrats Buckets smile. Love his name, might have to add that one to my list wink.

Widemouthfrog Tue 12-Aug-08 16:06:24

Daily meltdowns here. My DS hates going to school but is still really missing the routine. Not keen to leave the house at all. Every morning he asks if he is still on holiday and beams with satisfaction when I say yes. He is flapping more, screaming more, sleeping less and his food restrictions are getting worse by the day. He wants to spend all day in bed in his spiderman costume. We are all exhausted.

Roll on September - its a breeze wrestling him to school compared to this sad

Flamesparrow Wed 13-Aug-08 09:01:38

Congratulations Buckets!

Flamechick now has pox... this is going to be hell.

for those with daily meltdowns

Seuss Wed 13-Aug-08 09:12:59

Congratulations Buckets!

Flamesparrow - bad luck with the pox - we had it last hols.

Lots of screaming and flapping here, which is why I'm on mumsnet, trying to get up the energy to go and wave a magic wand...

coppertop Wed 13-Aug-08 10:14:32

Congratulations, Buckets.

Well, I posted too soon. Today's meltdown score is already Ds1 - 1 Ds2 - 3.

Four already and it's still only halfway through the morning. Gaaaaaaah!

twocutedarlings Wed 13-Aug-08 10:30:31

Oh god you have my deepest sympathy with the poxs flame, DD1 was i fecking nightmare.

Hope your days improve seuss and CT smile.

Seuss Wed 13-Aug-08 10:57:01

Just done some heavy duty cutting and sticking - the house is absolutely trashed but children seem quite relaxed in a leaping off the sofa kind of way.

My mum popped in for five minutes and kindly pointed out that the cat food stinks and so does my breath! My cat and I are sulking in our own stinkiness.sad

Buckets Wed 13-Aug-08 16:40:01

Has weather been crazy everywhere today? Our kids were going nuts so I suggested DH get the macs and take them out to run around a park in the strong winds. He looked at me in absolute disgust and ridicule. Then later he took them down the shop and commented on how much they enjoyed running there and back in the wind <<eye roll>>. Bless him he's doing very well being a temp SAHD but he doesn't have to reinvent the wheel!

Buckets Wed 13-Aug-08 16:40:35

LOL Seuss is your mum AS too?

coppertop Wed 13-Aug-08 17:11:11

I'm pleased to report that after the hellish shaky start, things improved a bit here. I found some Dragonball Z (ds1's latest obsession) colouring pictures to print off and both boys actually sat quietly and coloured them in. shock

The weather's horrible here too. Ds2 loves being out in the rain but hates getting wet. hmm Ds1 needs a cattle prod to get him out of the door on even the nicest of days. I took the cowards way out and let them watch sci-fi DVDs instead...

I hope you and the cat are okay, Seuss.

I hope the Flames are getting on okay with the dreaded chicken pox. <crosses fingers>

Seuss Wed 13-Aug-08 17:34:18

Think you might have a point about my mum buckets!

The weather is rubbish here too, we have lego everywhere, that stuff is like sand!

Widemouthfrog Wed 13-Aug-08 21:02:45

Crap weather here too. Both DS's bouncing off the walls - LOL at lego being like sand - my DS tips it over his head and runs his hands through it so I like the analogy.

We went on a play date and DS spent the morning rolling round in a rug filled with lego. He was happy and firends are used to him so it was very relaxing.

NO meltdowns today - result.

Seuss Wed 13-Aug-08 21:09:42

Rolling in Lego - is it wrong that I fancy giving it a go?

Widemouthfrog Wed 13-Aug-08 21:17:54

Seuss

Do you do fancy a bit of flapping aswell?

Seuss Wed 13-Aug-08 21:24:06

I'm willing to try anything - had a hard day!

(Bottle of beer is hitting the spot tho!)grin

luckylady74 Wed 13-Aug-08 21:31:32

My as hols are up and down.
Flame - my pox hols when all 3 had it was one of the most relaxing times I've ever had! Ds1 lay in bed and watched videos for 3 days - he's never watched tv for longer than 10 minutes before or since.
Ds1 is pleased to be at home, but finding the lack of stucture hard so more squeaking, shouting, obsessive drinking and his bloody f**king toilet obsession is back so everywhere we've been he says his favourite thing was going to the loo 10 times!
On the other hand he's bonded more with dd as she's so fierce/bossy that he doesn't try and strangle her/irritate her so they do play - a lot more than he does with ds2 who just shrieks when ds1 approaches.
We're timetabling and exercising like crazy, but it will be mixed emotions in September.

coppertop Thu 14-Aug-08 11:41:09

Yesterday's final meltdown score was: Ds1 - 2 Ds2 - 4.

Ds2's valuable lesson of the day was that in a mid-meltdown battle between the cooker and his toes, the cooker will win every time. Not that it's slowed him down in any way...

I'm venturing out into town later on with all 3 of them to start the dreaded school uniform buying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now