Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone got an SEN child into a non-special independent (private) school with fees paid by LEA?

(8 Posts)
Zogzelda Mon 11-Aug-08 23:48:15

I am looking to be put in touch with any families who have secured a place at a small independent school (without 'special school' status) where their LEA is meeting the private school fees for a special needs child (autism) either:

a) through negotiations with their local authority because other local mainstream or special school placements were deemed inappropriate, or

b) via an SEN tribunal ruling.

Thanks

zippitippitoes Mon 11-Aug-08 23:52:55

no

but without knowing nwhat you are looking for

my ds went to a school which had a 30% special needs intake with soime chikldren with lea payments

ds was specialneeds but we didnt try for a placement

whixh was a quaker school

and they have that kind of remit for some of their schools

bonkerz Tue 12-Aug-08 09:33:34

I am currently fighting to get my son into a local priory school via SENDIST panel. Our appeal is on 16 th September. I am having to put up a very good fight and im not sure if its looking good!

sarah293 Tue 12-Aug-08 11:34:53

Message withdrawn

bonkerz Thu 04-Sep-08 18:29:40

I have just won a place at a priory school for DS! Fully funded by LEA and transport too!

bonkerz Thu 04-Sep-08 18:31:43

I was due at SENIDST appeal on 16th september but LEA decided they could not fight me!
Our county has a huge problem with SEN provision. MS cannot cope with some children with ASD especially ones with severe behaviour issues BUT all the autistic units are for children with MLD or SLD. There is no provision for children on the spectrum who are intelligent and have no learning difficulties!!!

vjg13 Sun 07-Sep-08 17:14:33

Heard about a boy who is attending a small independent school paid for by his LEA. The LEA agreed to pay the fees approx £6000 each year because a TA in mainstream would have cost them about £12,000 and it would save them money.

Davros Sun 07-Sep-08 18:24:35

Aren't Priory Schools special schools though? Many special schools have private/independent status but all places are funded by LEAs.
I assume you mean local private sector school? I have heard of children going to private school with ABA shadow funded as part of funded home prog but not school fees funded.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now