Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA - further information needed. Good sign or bad?

(7 Posts)
stillworrying Sun 10-Aug-08 19:59:36

hello

I don't post on here often, as I'm aware my child's issues are much less than many others on this board but do I lurk around.

My son's paediatrician suggested at our last appt that we apply for DLA as we do extra stuff for him. He has hyptonia, no diagnosis, and other odd mild things wrong with him. I was very upset at this idea, but after paying well over £120 for some new piedros for him and other regular private physio and OT costs I thought it was worth applying to ofset some of the costs. It would also mean that we would actually have some spare money to do nice stuff with our other son who isn't getting all of the attention.

We filled in the form on our own, and I've now had a letter asking for further information. e.g. when did he start having problems getting around.

I thought we had answered that question in the main form. So I suppose I have two questions

Should I totally rephrase the answer I gave in a different way, or just repeat what I have already said. Or are they saying my answer is no good and doesn't meet the criteria and I've got to come up with something else.

Also it is a good sign that they're asking for more information?! I suppose it means they're not rejecting it out of hand.

thanks for reading so far

Seuss Sun 10-Aug-08 20:23:32

When we filled in our form they rang up my husband because a part about him needing constant supervision during the night seemed contradictory to me saying he doesn't need much night-time help. DH just explained that although he doesn't often wake in the night when he does he needs constant supervision - which they accepted. If you were happy with your original answer then I'd just reiterate what you've already said but add anything extra you can think of to reinforce your point. I'd say it is a good sign they want more info - sometimes it means they are considering which rate you fall into (like us with the night-time care).

stillworrying Mon 11-Aug-08 08:16:59

Thanks. I'll just stress what I put before, and explain in a bit more detail. I just wondered that maybe they were trying to "catch me out", if I gave a different answer this time, against just repeating what I put last time, which they couldn't have thought satisfactory as they'd asked me the question again - if that makes any sense!.

FioFio Mon 11-Aug-08 08:19:13

Message withdrawn

stillworrying Mon 11-Aug-08 08:44:00

We do get one pair at a time free, but I've bought him second pairs through the hospital in the past for about £80 - which is fair enough. He seems to wreck them quite easily, and seems to enjoy soaking them in puddles. He walks so much better with them I think it was worth getting second pairs - but a bill of about £130 was a bit of a shock as they seem to have changed the way they charge. I wouldn't expect the NHS to provide two pairs, but I think he needs them IYSWIM.

FioFio Mon 11-Aug-08 08:49:35

Message withdrawn

stillworrying Mon 11-Aug-08 20:55:03

I looked on the gilbert and mellish site but that said you needed a prescription, that's why I always go through the hospital, but if any one knows of a way that you can order them direct cheaper that would be great - of course I am hoping that these new pairs last a few months!

Also I do have several pairs of free piedros that I'm more than happy to pass on to someone as a second pair - or is that not advisable?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now