Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Disco Seat For Sensory integration Difficulties

(10 Posts)
Tclanger Fri 08-Aug-08 15:27:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TotalChaos Fri 08-Aug-08 15:36:30

possibly one of these???

www.posturite.co.uk/PosturiteSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=9300&cookie%5Ftest=1

TotalChaos Fri 08-Aug-08 15:37:54

www.therapyshoppe.com/product.php?cat=15&PHPSESSID=eaad33f24c62ea3f5ac7912226cb0ad8

for therapy balls

TheCheeseAlarm Fri 08-Aug-08 15:39:50

The OT recommended that DS1 sit on a child-size gym ball (45cm) to watch the TV and on the carpet at school. He has low muscle tone, perhaps that's what they meant by therapy ball.

Tclanger Fri 08-Aug-08 15:54:36

sphil Fri 08-Aug-08 23:59:58

TClanger - DS2 has been using a therapy ball at school and at home for a couple of months. I've been amazed at how quickly his core stability has improved - he now grips me with his legs when I pick him up rather than just hanging there like a sack of potatoes, which makes him so much easier to carry. His general balance has improved too. In one of the catalogues (TFH? Spacekraft?) it recommends that you choose one with the same diameter as the length of the child's arm (which I didn't know, but luckily, ours is).

Our OT also suggested that a knobbly therapy ball would be good for him - but the only one I've found costs £74shock.

I'm also looking out for a seat cushion for DS1 (dyspraxic traits)- there's a thread further down. The one I've been recommended is the Movin Sit cushion, which is wedge shaped and knobbly (obviously the need for knobbles is something my children share grin). It helps children sit up straight and not fidget (blimey I sound Victorian don't I?) It might be worth checking with the OT whether she means this or the round ones (which I think are the Discos) - though I'm sure she knows what she's talking about blush. Am on a bit of a sensory integration mission atm - convinced that it's the key to so many of DS2's problems.

Tclanger Sat 09-Aug-08 10:15:59

Tclanger Sat 09-Aug-08 10:16:23

Saker Sat 09-Aug-08 12:24:06

Sphil

Spacekraft certainly used to do a knobbly peanut ball for about £35 - I don't know if they still do as my catalogue is a bit old. We have one - it causes great amusement among visitors since Dh told everyone it reminded him of Buster Gonad in Viz blush grin.

sphil Sat 09-Aug-08 18:34:00

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now