Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Some people are a bit paranoid.

(6 Posts)
cyberseraphim Fri 08-Aug-08 14:28:29

I asked a friend to put in a Freedom of Information Request to find out how much funding DS1's nursery gets for its version of ABA therapy. The request was turned down citing a conflict with the Data Protection Act. It is well known and understand that the two statutes are on a collision course to some extent but we are not asking for any personal data only a financial breakdown. So we have to appeal to the Information Commissioner for his decision.

anonandlikeit Fri 08-Aug-08 17:06:57

I think (& this is not my opinion just from experience) that even if the info contains no personal data, but is obvious who the info relates to then the DPA can still be enforced.

So for instance if there is only one child with ASD at the nursery all of that investment/funding is for the sole use of one child & therefore any info released even without names etc obviously relates to that child. In your case your request is for your own info BUT other parents would then be equally entitled to that info.

We have used the DPA to argue against the FIA at work (nothing to do with sn) & the argument stood up in court.

cyberseraphim Fri 08-Aug-08 18:12:35

I understand what you are saying and in the circumstances you describe the DPA could be used as a reason to refuse access - but we have not asked for information about the allocation of money to the children at the nursery - only for global sum used to fund the scheme in general (for the whole city) . I made a similar request about autism funding in general for nurseries and it was granted. So anyway, it won't cost anything to keep trying !

misscutandstick Fri 08-Aug-08 18:16:06

i was just wondering why you wanted to know... is it in relation to some other funding? just being nosy blush

anonandlikeit Fri 08-Aug-08 18:38:59

Sorry I misunderstood I thought you were asking about funding for an individual nursery rather than the allocation for an entire city.

Assuming each nursery is allocated a proportion of funding & the number/names of children with ASD attending nurseries is not already in the public domain. Then I would ask them to explain how releasing budget figure for the entire city is in breach of the DPA?

cyberseraphim Fri 08-Aug-08 20:09:23

Sorry Anon - I probably didn't explain what I was requesting very well. My interest is that I feel the nursery which is part of a city wide scheme to provide 'ABA type' therapy to autistic children does not represent good value for money. I have some concerns about where the money might be going but possibly that is me becoming paranoid as well ! However I need to know how much money the scheme receives and how it compares with the general level of funding given to nurseries who support autistic children but who are not part of the 'Early Years' scheme. I want to know mainly for my own interest but depending on what I find out and when I might mention it when seeking an alternative nursery place - if such a place exists !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now