Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DD2 does not cope well with change/new things - how on earth am I going to get her to wear school uniform?!

(3 Posts)
Sidge Tue 05-Aug-08 15:31:14

She has about 4 pairs of trousers and 6 T-shirts that she will wear. Nothing else, if I put her in something different she will just take it off.

I shall do a few dry runs the week before school but I am dreading it - I know we will have major meltdowns trying to ger her into her school uniform, I had enough trouble just getting her to try her school trousers on!

Haven't got her school shoes yet - I am dresding that as she freaks out getting new shoes, and she has insoles so we have to try them on before buying as we can't just buy them off the shelf.

Oh, why can't she just stay at nursery??!

amber32002 Tue 05-Aug-08 17:29:26

Ah yes, the Clothes Torture grin.

To you, clothes feel like clothes and your brain can switch off almost instantly from it. You put them on, think momentarily "oo, that feels slightly rough/tight/itchy round the label", but then your brain cancels that out and does something else.

Not us. For us, our brain spends the whole day yelling "these trousers are itchy!" and "this blouse is too tight round the arms!" and "that label is STILL digging in to my neck!" and we can't think about anything else as all our brain wiring is full of 'clothing errors'. Like computer errors, but different smile.

As for shoes, don't get me started. It takes me weeks to get used to a new pair.

Yup, your daughter is letting you know that clothes and shoes bloomin' hurt us. They do.

The knack is to work with her to test-drive alternatives that don't hurt/overload so much. Feel every seam and label. Test every shoe for a gentle fit that won't dig in. Line things with something if it helps and your needlework skills are up to it?

Sidge Tue 05-Aug-08 22:13:25

See I'm not sure it's entirely a sensory thing.

I think she's just stubborn!

It seems to be one area that she has some choice and control, as she doesn't have much elsewhere.

Mind you understanding her quirks don't always help me to deal with them...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now