Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

My DS needs a new bed....!

(10 Posts)
lourobert Mon 04-Aug-08 09:53:24

Hes 3 in August and quite long- I say long rather than tall as he is not yet standing!!! He has outgrown his cot and I dont think he really likes the bar etc and always seems to sleep better in a bed.

I asked the OT about suitable beds and she sent me some info through- they are all horrible metal hospitl like beds. Surely there must be something better on the market. It will need sides and preferably go up and down. Can I buy a normal bed and have it adapted?

Has anyone bought any bed for their dc that actually looks like a kids bed rather than a hospital one

2shoes Mon 04-Aug-08 11:09:13

dd has a lovely bed from the ot, it has a wooden headboard and sides.

Romy7 Mon 04-Aug-08 16:37:37

We used a top bunk (on the floor, natch.) Aspace will custom make if you ask them nicely.

chonky Mon 04-Aug-08 19:49:26

oh lourobert - I have just the thing (I think ). Phone Fledgelings and ask them to send you details on 'Zac's Bed'. It's a single bed, with high sides, and doors which open for easy access to your dc. It's in pine, and the chap who makes them is actually a woodturner by trade so they're beautifully made (he takes a real pride in them). Plus, they were also the cheapest 'SN' bed that we looked at. HTH.

fledglings

chonky Mon 04-Aug-08 19:50:39

PS - you can apply for a grant for one - teh chap who makes them will advise you. Unfortunately, our grant took so long to come through that we had to go ahead and buy the bed, otherwise dd was going to hurt herself in her old bed.

ouryve Tue 05-Aug-08 00:16:48

Thuka make modular bunkbeds with side barriers and everything. They're really nice, sturdy, thick pine and could easily be adapted for a low level bed with barriers quite easily. Used as a single bed, they're not particularly high, too, which is a bonus.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 05-Aug-08 08:04:46

was going to say the same as chonky. zac's bed does look good.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 05-Aug-08 08:13:13

fliedglings do this as well which might be cheaper than zac's bed. They are really helpful though.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 05-Aug-08 08:16:58

there's also the cosyfit

lourobert Tue 05-Aug-08 08:41:53

thanks so much for the suggestions. Im going to take a look at them now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now