Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Toilet training question...specifically "visuals"

(19 Posts)
BriocheDoree Sat 02-Aug-08 18:33:44

Any ideas on this one...DD is basically potty trained for wees and has been for a few months. Only problem is that she still wears a nappy to poo. I know that this isn't unique to SN kids, but I'm a little concerned as to how she's going to get on when she starts doing full days in school in September (only does mornings ATM). I think the basic problem is that she can't see what's happening, so she can't work out what do to in order to poo! Tried drawing pictures on her megasketcher, and she's motivated to get this sorted out, but just can't get her head round it. Any idea how I can show her what's happening in a way that's not completely gross?!
TIA Brio

Tclanger Sat 02-Aug-08 18:52:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KT14 Mon 04-Aug-08 09:31:43

Just ordered this, thanks Tclanger!!!
ds1 turned 3 at the weekend and was just thinking that I wished there was a dvd which could help us with potty training, he's so visual that I think that's the only way I'm going to get him interested. There's a few on ebay if anyone else is looking!

TinySocks Mon 04-Aug-08 12:00:17

HI Brioche, I am going through a similar thing with DS, however his is not toilet trained for wees or poos yet! He goes if I take him to the toilet, but he doesn't ask for the toilet.

tclanger suggested this bear dvd, the problem is that DS is not interested whatsoever in videos that do not involve REAL people. Doesn't even look at them!

If you find an answer please let me know will you.

KaySamuels Mon 04-Aug-08 12:14:21

I have been given a visual timeline thingy from the senco at nursery, it is simple line drawings and words, mounted on a horizontal piece of bright card.

DS apprehensive to sit on toilet, so we have same trouble with poos, and this visual aid really seems to be helping, he had a go look at it and a chat and then headedstraight to the toilet to try it out! smile

Tclanger Mon 04-Aug-08 12:17:32

Tclanger Mon 04-Aug-08 15:24:57

FioFio Mon 04-Aug-08 15:42:07

Message withdrawn

Tclanger Mon 04-Aug-08 16:38:05

Tclanger Mon 04-Aug-08 16:40:39

BriocheDoree Mon 04-Aug-08 18:49:09

DD exactly the same! Dry at night several months before she was toilet trained. Eventually got her to use the toilet by taking her out of nappies altogether, then putting her in them SPECIFICALLY to go on the toilet, no other time. On day just tried putting her on without a nappy, and she peed with no problems. Took another two months for her actually to ask to go. I firmly believe that the pooing thing will sort itself out eventually, and I'm now wondering whether it's worth stressing about at the moment. TBH I was just a little concerned about school (I mean, they are not going to start letting her put a nappy on to poo at school, are they!!) but I guess she won't be the only child who refuses to poo in the school toilets. I mean, I know NT kids that hold it in so they can go at home. Just another one of those things where you just have to believe that it WILL be fixed eventually! LIke the idea of the Bear in the Big Blue House DVD but unfortunately DD doesn't know the character as not on in France...

cyberseraphim Mon 04-Aug-08 19:39:57

Snap - DS1 dry at night for ages before he was in the day. He has no problems asking although there can be false alarms as he loves dashing into facilties to check them out. Having similar problems with poo - he's still not reliable but is we are factoring in lots of time sitting on the toilet in hopes that we will have success. He hates being dirty and it really upsets him and wants to use about a million wipes to clean up

TinySocks Mon 04-Aug-08 20:17:26

Tclanger, those balls made me giggle! hmmm not a bad idea. I guess I'll have to buy a net to fish them out of the toilet? Cos I'm not getting my hands in there. And hopefully they are machine washable, cos I have had enough with dirty pants!!

Hi Fio: I don't know, I couldn't tell you if my DS's LD are severe or not. He had an assessment done in march, and they put him in the Severe category, but I beg to differ. He has moved on big time in these six months (okay he is still very delayed, but severe? I don't know). Maybe I am fooling myself, I am still hoping that he will eventually get it, otherwise, I have big problems with schooling.

Can I ask a question about night? YOu have all really worried me now, it sounds like all your dcs were dry at night before you started the day training. DS has very heavy nappies when he wakes up, but a friend told me that the brain actually produces a hormone at night when they are ready, so it doesn't have to do with muscle tone. DS can be dry for 2-3 hours so I thought his muscle tone was fine.

(sorry for the hijack brioche, sounds like you are doing wonderfully)

TotalChaos Mon 04-Aug-08 20:21:04

DS wasn't dry at night for about 8 months after he first started successfully toilet training. I understood the night training was a hormone thing too.

TinySocks Mon 04-Aug-08 20:29:44

Thanks TC, that is really good to know.

sphil Mon 04-Aug-08 22:02:44

DS2 is the same Tinysocks - dry for 2-3 hours during day but always sopping wet in morning.

We re-started toilet training today! Wish I could say 'ta-da!' but I'm afraid that'll have to wait.

magso Mon 04-Aug-08 22:22:55

Ds is nearly 9 and still doesn't produce that night time hormone! We have sopping leaking nappies every morning too. He is mostly dry by day (with some prompting) but has good waiting ability - can go hours between wees (I think his system waits till night time!!). I guess things just mature at different rates in different kids.
Good luck BD.

TinySocks Tue 05-Aug-08 06:37:12

sphil, good luck with toilet training. Sending you plenty of good vibes for it to go well.

sphil Tue 05-Aug-08 07:48:32

Thanks TS. I'm just doing the scheduling thing Fio talked about atm - trying to establish when he goes. Tomorrow I'm going to put him in training pants and take him at those times - and that's when I'm going to start with Cyber's doll too grin. I have a feeling it may be winging its way to you very soon though (are you next on the list?) - it's a baby and I'd forgotten that DS2 hates babies grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now