Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Once your child has dx of asd, do you find yourself diagnosing others!

(6 Posts)
macwoozy Thu 10-Feb-05 11:33:35

Just curious about this really.
After my ds was diagnosed with asd, it became apparent that most probably my uncle also had asd/as. He is now labelled schizophrenic, but during his childhood it seemed he displayed many of the characteristics of asd, although at the time they put his problems down to the fact his mother died when he was 6 and that he suffered badly from this.
Since I've become abit more knowledgeable about asd/as, I really believe my partner has it too. He hates social situations and feels really awkward, has a major interest in cars,rarely initiates conversations and rarely ever uses my name!, can't understand types of humour, for instance he just couldn't get "The office", and lined his toy cars right up until his teens.
And then theres my brother.....my friend.....my grandad.....and now I'm starting to question myself!

pixel Thu 10-Feb-05 14:14:08

There are a few things from my own childhood that I now wonder about. Always had big problems with social situations which I've had to really struggle to overcome. Put down to excessive shyness and 'nerves' but now of course I'm not so sure... Lots of little things that I see reflected in ds such as being physically unable to eat food of a certain texture.

I am also convinced Roy in Coronation Street is on the spectrum!

macwoozy Thu 10-Feb-05 17:06:05

Yep, I've diagnosed him as well

JakB Thu 10-Feb-05 18:20:01

Absolutely!
My mum (she even says so herself), a man I used to work with, my local GP!

JaysMum Thu 10-Feb-05 19:26:54

I find it so hard NOT to look at other people behaviours and sit and analyze them!!!!!How bad is that???????

There are 5 boys in ds1's class who are all showing such classic traits of AS and I find it so difficult not to rush up to their parents and tell them so....especially when one of the boys is having such a hard time for his behaviour problems and his parents are always telling him off for it!!!!

sparklymieow Thu 10-Feb-05 19:31:10

I will probably get flamed for this, but I think we all have some AS traits in us. We all do things that appear strange or odd to other people.
I know I can spot a child or adult with CP a mile off, so I understand what you are say

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now