Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help DS2 hates not being at home!

(11 Posts)
mm22bys Thu 31-Jul-08 16:48:51

Hi,

DS2 is delayed and we work at home with him most days, but we do also try to go out as a family, say on a weekend, or like today with DS1's friends.

The problem is, that no matter where I take DS2, it seems like he doesn't like it.

For instance, if I take him somewhere new he will put his head down on the ground, as though it's all just too much for him.

Today we were at the park, and he basically slept all day in his stroller. When he is awake, the head goes down, or he just sits really slumped.

At home he is a different character, crawling, cruising around, sitting up straight, making chatting noises.

We have a CDT review in 10 days' time, and I know they are going to get a really negative (as usual) opinion of him.

How can I get his "light" to shine when we are out? It may be "best" for him to stay at home, but not for the rest of us!

Thanks,

TotalChaos Thu 31-Jul-08 18:35:34

Hmmm. Does it make any difference if it's somewhere quiet with less people/natural light rather than shop artificial lights? would he feel better if you showed him a photo of where you were going shortly before you went so he knows what to expect?

TotalChaos Thu 31-Jul-08 18:36:09

also would any favourite toys/books attached to the buggy help give him an incentive to be more active whilst out?

mm22bys Fri 01-Aug-08 10:48:20

I think he gets bored when he's out. Also I think he struggles with the natural light.

Next time we go somewhere I'll take one or two of his favourite toys (they are quite big which is why I haven't done it before), and see if that can interest him.

Thx

moondog Fri 01-Aug-08 10:52:33

What is he interested in?
Start by associating visits with things he likes such as feeding ducks, going into Woolworths to look at toys, or to buy something nice to eat.

moondog Fri 01-Aug-08 10:53:04

Don't whatever you do get into pattern of staying home. it won't be good for any of you.

mm22bys Fri 01-Aug-08 10:56:18

Thanks, he really likes playing with a helicopter and spent an hour and a half last Sunday playing with a Noah's arc.

He sleeps a lot, and if I put him in the carseat or stroller he falls asleep.

We went to the park yesterday, and he slept most of the day....

Thanks for your ideas...

TotalChaos Fri 01-Aug-08 10:56:33

I used to use those plastic link type things to attach all sorts to the buggies, mini-bead coasters etc!

moondog Fri 01-Aug-08 11:04:41

Most kids sleep when taken out though. My nephew is 17 and out like a light the minute he gets into a car!

TotalChaos Fri 01-Aug-08 11:05:27

at that age DS would be out like a light in the car.

sphil Fri 01-Aug-08 22:49:05

An OT I know mentioned that a hat with a wide brim can help children who are sensitive to light and visual stimuli when outside. Do you think your DS might be overwhelmed by all the different sensory experiences of being outside - light, noise, movement etc - and his natural defence is to 'shut down'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now