Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Books for older children with low reading age?

(7 Posts)
Laugs Thu 31-Jul-08 14:59:56

I just wondered if there are any out there?

The child in mind is 16, but his interests would be more like those of a 12 year old, and his reading ability is probably 6 or 7.

I'm a little bit out of my depth here, but we are taking DP's half brother on holiday. Neither of us know him well and he has many issues. One of his things is that he sort of equates money with love, so he's constantly looking for us to buy him stuff or give presents.

I find this really awkward - for one thing we can't afford it, for another it's not exactly a habit to encourage.

We always wants computer games (which are expensive anyway) but we've found out he's been selling them back to game shops, obviously at a much reduced rate, to buy new ones, which he sells again back... ie. he ends up with nothing in no time and doesn't seem to understand he's losing out.

I had this idea of buying him a nice book instead, but I really don't know if there are suitable ones out there. A book aimed at a 6 year old would be childish, boring or embarrassing for him.

Any ideas?

daisy5678 Thu 31-Jul-08 15:16:14

There is a great series called the High Impact Series, which I got on Amazon a couple of years ago. Al gangs and friendships and crime stuff aimed at teebagers, but for low reading ages.
Here ya go!

www.amazon.co.uk/high-impact-Childrens-Books/s/qid=1217513725/ref=sr_nr_n_7?ie=UTF8&rs=266239&keywor ds=High%20impact&bbn=69&rnid=1025612&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AHigh%20impact%2Ci%3Astripbooks%2Cn%3A266239%2C n%3A69

Laugs Thu 31-Jul-08 15:27:54

Great. Thank you! Do you recommend any of them in particular?

2shoes Thu 31-Jul-08 15:31:36

have you considered audio books, that way you could get him an "older" book. I have don this with dd with great success.

Laugs Thu 31-Jul-08 15:39:24

Hi 2shoes, I hadn't considered them, but that might be a good idea. At home he has a set bedtime but is allowed to watch TV in bed. They've asked us to keep up his bedtime but we have no TVs in bedrooms, so maybe an audio book is a good alternative.

Do you remember any that were particularly good? (my DD is only 1.9 so haven't much of a clue when it comes to older kids!)

www.barringtonstoke.co.uk
Books for children (and adults) with a reading age lower than actual age. Also easy to read type face, illustrations that match tesk and help carry story. Specially designed for dyslexic/struggling readers but in 'normal' looking covers to help with street cred.

Laugs Thu 31-Jul-08 15:48:04

these look good. there is a specific section for age 12-16 with reading age below 8, so that's perfect!
my only worry now is that some of them look a bit scary and he is very easily scared. but I'm sure I'll find something.

Thanks all fro your help. I aksed about this in my local (excellent) library today and they didn't seem to have a clue, so I thought there might be nothing out there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now