Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Etiquette for Exiting a Nursery Placement

(4 Posts)
cyberseraphim Thu 31-Jul-08 12:13:36

We are 99% sure we want DS1 (ASD) to leave his current nursery placement. However we have three appointments lined up in August - paeditriacian, educational psychologist and SALT and we want to discuss with them why we don't think the nursery is benefitting him. This will mean giving the nursery very short notice that he is leaving before the start of the next term. Do you think this is okay or will the Nursery feel annoyed that we didn't give any warning?

blackrock Thu 31-Jul-08 12:24:16

Just check how much notice you have to give, as they may charge you for unattended sessions.

I don't think it is a problem - why don't you want the nursery to know the situation?

They may want to talk to the professionals and improve their provision if you could make an app. and discuss it with them. If they haven't dealt with (ASD) before then they may need some training. With guidance from the professionals involved a good nursery would ensure training of staff to help meet your child's needs.

Could you reduce DS's hours first until this is resolved?

cyberseraphim Thu 31-Jul-08 12:29:15

It's a free place and he only has minimum hours. He had more hours before the ASD diagnosis, the hours were cut quite abruptly and we had to make other arrangements quickly so on one level, I am not bothered about short notice to them but then again, I wouldn't like them to think we are not grateful at all for the time and effort they have taken with him.

TotalChaos Thu 31-Jul-08 12:49:22

for private nurseries the norm is to give one months notice, I don't know if that helps ease your conscience in anyway. If your DS isn't go to go back there I wouldn't feel too guilty about lack of warning, as long as you give them as much warning as you can in the circumstances. Just write them a nice card thanking them for time and effort when he does leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now