Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.


(10 Posts)
Dilberta Wed 30-Jul-08 13:22:42

Have two teenagers. One has Asperegers and sensory integration disorder and one has dyspraxia. Neither have ever seen a 'specialist' beyond the initial diagnosis years ago
but, the one with Aspergers is now driving me nuts as he cant cope with sound. We have to tiptoe around, he complains at noisy eating, TV, well, everything really.
Can anything be done? Is it too late now he is 15? Most of his more extreme behaviours have disappeared over the years, as a toddler he was a nightmare with hand flapping and hiding and refusing to ever go out. Most of the time he comes across as 'normal' as is articulate and clever but this with sound is affecting the whole family now.
What should I do? Will a GP just be dismissive?

The one with dyspraxia again has had no input but isn't coping with handwriting at school (his writing and drawing is like a 6 yo's) or sports as he cant catch a ball or hit one with a bat. he doesn't care about sports but the handwriting could be an issue.
Any advice on what I should do or will the GP dismiss them as 'too old'?

amber32002 Wed 30-Jul-08 14:18:24

I think the teenage years can be a real trial for those with an ASD. It's got to be worth having a chat with your local autism charity to see if there's anything they can suggest, other than earplugs or earmuffs for him?

If the GP is any good, they'll help you with both situations. Neither is too old to get some help, so I'd say go for it.

Buckets Wed 30-Jul-08 16:14:15

Could you ask the school to refer the dyspraxic one to the Educational Psychologist? They would assess his needs and chat to you about what help is available these days.

magso Wed 30-Jul-08 16:57:37

It might be worth contacting the NAS - they are running some seminars (Help2) around the country including sensory issues, sibling issues and anger management.

drowninginlaundry Wed 30-Jul-08 17:23:26

sensory integration therapy for the hypersensitivity to sound - I don't think he's too old but a SI specialist Occupational Therapist would be able to tell you for sure. If you are in London or South East you can access an independent OT, elsewhere it's a bit trickier.

Dilberta Wed 30-Jul-08 18:29:47

The school is a posh one and doesn't appear to have a senco. Is that usual?
Tried ringing the NAS. All advisors busy each time. They said keep trying.

amber32002 Wed 30-Jul-08 20:50:02

No SENCO? Blimey. I hope there's someone who has responsibility for disability matters, even if they don't call themselves a SENCO. Otherwise I guess it's the Head's responsibility to tell you what he/she proposes to do about any of this?

drowninginlaundry Thu 31-Jul-08 13:30:02

Is it an independent school? If so, they don't have to do anything. At all. They don't have to have a SENCO and they are not bound by the SEN code of practice. We learned the hard way. It's up to each independent school to decide what if anything they want to do to support SEN. Most don't bother. If they refuse, your only ammunition is the Disability Discrimination Act which also applies to independent schools.

Dilberta Fri 01-Aug-08 17:19:09

took him to the GP (ds1 was rather reluctant) and he is being reffered to a paediatrician. Have to see how that goes.

myhandle Sat 02-Aug-08 19:07:04

Hi Dilberta,
I have a 16 year old with the exact same condition, he will attack his younger brother if his breathing is too noisy, says he is doing it on purpose etc, only told me the other day that he has tinnitus, when I asked why he did not tell me before now, he said he thought everyone had it and thought it was normal, he copes by always wearing ear phones wth music on low.

Good luck at the doctors

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: