Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Day dreaming or something else?

(13 Posts)
PipinJo Wed 30-Jul-08 00:05:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

deeeja Wed 30-Jul-08 02:01:04

My 3 year old, who has autism, does this and I have also wondered the same thing. I have noticed my 5 year old(as) also doing the same thing from time to time, he has now started drawing in the air with his fingers and appears to be doing this all the time when stressed. I think alot of kids on the spectrum do it, and is a type of zoning out.
How is your ds doing Pipinjo?

BriocheDoree Wed 30-Jul-08 07:12:48

My DD who has speech and language difficulties also does this. Think it's when there's too much going on and she just has to zone out for a while to cope. However, give that autism and epilepsy often go together, would get it checked out if it's worrying you. Hopefully it's just little time outs and nothing more serious.

Nat1H Wed 30-Jul-08 10:18:11

I would get it checked out. A simple EEG will tell you. My son was having absences for ages before we got epilepsy diagnosed. Looking back, it's quite obvious but at the time I just thought it was normal behaviour for him.
Does he know what's going on while he is staring or is he completely unaware of what has been happening around him? Sometimes, my son can be a little slow to respond after an absence.Can appear to be a little 'drunk'.
Hope it's nothing, but worth getting checked.
Good luck

Tclanger Wed 30-Jul-08 11:09:39

Graciefer Wed 30-Jul-08 11:13:33

I went to a coffee morning in DS1's class on the last day of term and the nursery nurse told me that DS1 has been doing exactly this.

She said it used to only be for a few minutes at a time, but recently it has been up to 15 minutes with him just staring into space and appearing really vacant. She said when he 'comes around' he often seems startled.

After reading this thread I am definately going to talk to the GP or his paeditrician.

I never actually knew autism and epilepsy often went together, I am a bit scared now.

QueenBhannae Wed 30-Jul-08 11:20:40

Oh , my ds as autism and does this too. I didn't really think anything of it til now but will get him checked out.
Sorry I have no advice for you but hope you get to the bottom of it and its just a case of zoning out x

ChopsTheDuck Wed 30-Jul-08 11:27:00

ds1 does this, he has dyspraxia, but has always had a lot of autustic type traits. We also got the eeg done, and it was clear. He could actually stare into space for hours, but it has improved a lot as he has got older.

misscutandstick Wed 30-Jul-08 18:48:56

can i hyjack? sorry.

I was worried about this too in DS5 (PRE-Dx Autistic symptoms). He used to 'zone out' loads, just kinda be really blank and vacant. However since cutting out casein (not gone the whole way yet, not cut out the gluten yet on dieticians advice) hes been very much better. Not nearly as vacant, which i was very worried about.

HOWEVER -

There was this one incident where we were at playgroup (theres only about 5 kids that go, so its not busy/noisy/crowded) and he was stood in front of me and lent against my leg. He never asks to be picked up, but i assumed thats what he wanted. I picked him up and he lent against me with his face pressed against my mouth/nose. It was peculiar but half hoped it was supposed to be a kiss (ever the optomist!!!) but he just stayed there for about a minute not moving at all, i slid him sideways (he was still quite 'rigid' not flopping, but very still)and he just kinda slid (still upright) onto my shoulder. By this point the surestart worker was quite worried too and she looked and noted that his colour was OK, and he looked fine - just motionless. He stayed there for another couple of minutes, quite still. then he just wriggled to get down and wandered off, just fine. ???

if anyone could guess at what had happened i would be very greatful we do have an appointment back with his Paed - but not till the end of August... should i mention it?

PipinJo Wed 30-Jul-08 19:42:09

Nat1H Thu 31-Jul-08 10:06:10

PipinJo, I think I am right in thinking that excitement or overstimulation can trigger a seizure in some kids (not 100% sure though).

The pupils getting wider rings bells for me - this happens to my DS when he has had a seizure and I was told to look out for it by an epilepsy charity - I hadn't noticed it before.

They also told me to try to get him to do something like join in with a song or some actions. This is to try the stimulate the area of the brain that is still Ok to try to take over the seizure and reduce it's length. Has never worked for my DS, but it's worth a try.

I would push for an EEG if possible. Tell them everything you have said on here.
Good luck.

Tclanger Thu 31-Jul-08 10:28:12

PipinJo Thu 31-Jul-08 21:56:17

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now