Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

omg to just have 5 minutes peace

(21 Posts)
2shoes Tue 29-Jul-08 14:08:16

without dd asking for me to do something.

2shoes Tue 29-Jul-08 14:43:10

thank goodness for HSM she has just got the HSM concert and is watching it phewwwwwww

anxiousmax Tue 29-Jul-08 15:23:18

I'm developing selective hearing, just to give myself a rest.
ds2 has started making the most annoying noise, sort of puffing air through his teeth he sounds like a bike pump but its constant & driving me MAD!!

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 29-Jul-08 19:25:02

god yes

I bumped into a friend at university today. She said she was outside my house with her Mum yesterday and all they could hear was screaming (the kids I hope, not me ) . Her Mum said that they needed to invite me down to theirs for a glass of wine (I'm going tomorrow).

magso Tue 29-Jul-08 22:09:16

Ah but that moment of peace and quiet can be a dangerouse thing!! (so thats why he so quiet!) Its the having to be at high alert all the time that is tiring!

Seuss Tue 29-Jul-08 22:22:10

That's right magso - I had that the 'quiet' yesterday - and then I found a patio lamp had been frisbeed out of the front window and a vase had been thrown out the back. The alternative is ds1's current habit of 'primal screaming'. I couldn't wait to be invited out for wine - opened my own!grin

misscutandstick Tue 29-Jul-08 22:51:59

we dont have a primal scream - its more of a siren with dips and peaks sad which is on a parr with dodgy car alarm that doesnt have an off switch angry. its almost amusing at first... but an hour later hmm

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 29-Jul-08 22:53:20

we have the pterodactyl. It is ear piercing. Then you find one of us saying 'ds1 stop pterodactyling'

magso Wed 30-Jul-08 09:18:25

Oh murder! we have the pterodactly screech too! - and a repetative eeh-eeh - that sounds like ds is perfecting sound effects for a Jurrassic park remake!

Seuss Wed 30-Jul-08 09:22:43

do you find that other people look horrified but you just kind of tune it out after a while?

magso Wed 30-Jul-08 09:38:23

Yep - mostly I forget it is unusual (by NT standards) and tune out - ds makes most noises when he is content! Every now and then it gets to me! Ds has a talent for throwing too - his aim needs a bit of tuning but the power is impressive.

2loudboys Wed 30-Jul-08 11:01:49

ds1's noise of choice is a kind of wandering moan, which can go up or down, quieter or louder depending on his pitch of excitement (it usually accompanies tv or comuter games). If I've had enough sleep I can usually kind of tune him out (unless we get to extreme yelping). But DH really struggles and gets irritated v. quickly.

Tclanger Wed 30-Jul-08 11:07:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anxiousmax Wed 30-Jul-08 11:08:06

its only 11am & i'm knackered. DS2 has a huge sensory thing with his mouth. If he's not whistling or making puffing or squelching sounds he's sneaking off to fill his mouth with water to spit everywhere.
i keep finding puddles.
DS1 has a friend over to play (brave boy) after half hour of refusing to come out from under the sofa he is pacing the hallway & asking to go up & down the stairs over & over again.

I think i'm going to lock him out in the garden.

magso Wed 30-Jul-08 11:19:56

Well I don't want to make everyone envious but its ds 1st session in the sn club today and hes there now (and settled in nicely grin) Yipee!! I don't know if it was me but everything was getting to me this morning!!
Tclanger - we ran out of oil 3 days ago too - so Ive just collected more! Perhaps thats why ds was so off the wall this morning - though I was blaming the icecream he filched from the freezer!!
Guess what- the builders have arrived next door - but I think I could sleep through almost anything!

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 30-Jul-08 12:41:03

ds1 has gone to his playscheme too. He was really nervous going in. Wouldn't go through the door to begin with then wouldn't leave my side. It finally dawned on me that it's held in a residential unit - with beds. He probably thought he was going to be staying overnight. As soon as I told him he would stay there for lunch and I'd cpme and pick him and bring him home for tea he set off merrily. Durrr.

tibni Wed 30-Jul-08 12:44:01

Pterodactly screech what a brilliant description! Yes we have it here too. Took ds to garden centre to get more pet food. Parked in the disabled badge area with badge clearly on display. Got the evils from old couple getting out of their car as ds bounded up the carpark. Could hear the "nothing wrong" type comments; I was delighted when ds let out "the screech" and they jumped!

As well as the physical it is mentally and emotionally exhausting. There is no chance to switch off even if you need the loo!

magso - enjoy the peace. Make the most of it, sleep sounds a wonderful choice.

Tclanger Wed 30-Jul-08 15:30:41

anxiousmax Wed 30-Jul-08 18:59:30

Thanks Tclanger i'm hoping its going to be short lived with ds2 too.
For some reason he also won't go in the garden on his own so he is screaming at me to go outside every time i sneak back indoors, i've perfected the art of doing a wee in 5 seconds flat!

magso Wed 30-Jul-08 20:30:18

Thanks Tibni and JJ. Ah it was all too short! Hope your playscheme went well for DS1 JJ.
Ds won't play in the garden (or in another room) without me either. Its difficult to sneak off to to do chores/ use the loo/ get a cuppa!
Tclanger - I always notice if we forget the oil - usually takes a couple of days to show up but almost instant recovery! Dosed him up this afternoon (after playscheme) and he is now happily making potions in the bath singing the first bar from piano over and over.
The other noise ds makes is the 'passing of time' hum! A rhythmic but monototonous (tuneless) hum - used when re-enacting scenes from films - at least I think that is what he is doing!!!

Tclanger Wed 30-Jul-08 20:53:58

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now