Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Mobility DLA.......when can you start the process for a car!

(9 Posts)
lourobert Tue 29-Jul-08 11:41:10

I have just had to re-apply for DLA. We awere re-awarded high rate care from his 3rd birthday and also high rate mobility from the same time.

We are wanting to get a car through the motability scheme. Does anyone know if I can start the process of choosing a car now so its ready to drive off the day the mobility element kicks in (as we have the letter confirming we will be entitled!) or do you have to wait until that date befoe you can even start the process.

Thanks

2shoes Tue 29-Jul-08 14:15:41

best thing is to give them a ring. they can then send you the price guide. you will need this as it has all the deposits in it.
How long is until he is 3?

lourobert Tue 29-Jul-08 14:24:46

Hes 3 in October. Ive taken a look and it said that the special deals a the emoment are up until Sept so I guess it might be best to wait for the new deals to come out?!

jajoom Tue 29-Jul-08 15:43:37

they must have changed the process because had to wait until DS was 3 before we could even apply for DLA (mobility component). He was nearly 3 1/2 before we finally got the allowance. After ordering our car it only took a couple of weeks to come and there's hardly any paper work involved. We weren't really in a rush, but my old Punto died a timely death the very day I collected my new car!

FioFio Tue 29-Jul-08 15:48:11

Message withdrawn

FioFio Tue 29-Jul-08 15:48:59

Message withdrawn

lourobert Thu 31-Jul-08 08:40:12

Thanks everyone

Debs75 Thu 14-Aug-08 19:25:18

We went for our mobility car in late July and as the car regs was going to change we were quite limited in choice so check when the reg changes as this can mean upgrades in the car like alloy wheels or seat coverings, daft things but you have to wait for mobility to catch up. I think they changed for the 1st Aug if so then you're fine if not then it is 1st Sept.
In the mean time before you get your entitlement go on the website find some local dealers and go and ask to see the mobility salesperson, they will have a full list of cars they provide and you can look around any they have in, remember to take buggies and car seats and any other equipment to make sure it fits, I forgot to take my car seat and it doesn't fit the car we got so had to buy another.
All dealers will let you do this as they want you business and they are really very helpful, there is no reason why you can't have picked out the car you want begore the award notice comes through, then it is just a case of tsking in the paperwork and the dealer will do the rest.
Take your time thos as you will have the car for 3 years, make sure it is the right one.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Thu 14-Aug-08 20:28:54

I've found the dealers really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now