Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS, 8, autistic traits, cannot concentrate at school, falling behind, I dont know where to start with helping him

(16 Posts)
bunny3 Sun 27-Jul-08 17:04:12

have posted in SEN section too.

Ds, 8, has been assessed in Reception for ASD but no dx. Since then he has had IEPs constantly but is still falling behind. Teacher thinks concentration main problem - affecting reading (below age), writing (below age), spelling (below age). He is also poorly organised and finds it difficult to follow instructions.

SENCO and class teacher now say he need one-to-one and have suggested I request Statutory Assessment for a statement as they are unable to provide what he needs.

Class teacher says in her opinion he is not dyslexic or dyspractic, she has mentioned autistic traits several times recently.

I would love any practical suggestions to help him improve his concentration/reading/writing. He has so much potential and I dont want expectations of him to be low.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 27-Jul-08 18:53:59

Bunny

Is your DS under the care of a developmental paediatrician currently?. Has he received any occupational therapy?. Such a person (unlike his class teacher for instance) can make a diagnosis. Your GP can refer you to such a person if he is not.

With regards to school I would certainly now apply for a Statement of Special Needs for your son. You as his Mum have far more power than school would ever have anyway in this regard because if the LEA say no you (unlike school) can appeal.

You need to write to the Chief Education Officer of your LEA and give them six weeks to reply.

IPSEA have model letters you can use if you're wondering what to write:-

www.ipsea.org.uk

Tclanger Sun 27-Jul-08 18:55:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cocolepew Sun 27-Jul-08 18:58:42

Try using Primary Movement or Brain Gym with him (you'll have to goggle[grin). My Dd has slight Autistic traits and I find a high dose of fish oils helps her to concentrate.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 27-Jul-08 19:03:51

School should get the Ed Pysch in as a matter of course. This person will set out strategies but what you really need for your son is a Statement particularly if one to one support is needed.

My son has a Statement for his learning difficulties and it has not made him at all "lazy" or "dependent" on his learning support assistant (they change every year).

HTH

Tclanger Sun 27-Jul-08 20:09:39

bunny3 Tue 29-Jul-08 15:02:18

Thank you for your responses.

Re fish oil - ds has some very severe allegries icluding to fish! Sods law eh? I will see if vegetarian alternatives are available. I found vegetarian Omega 3 capsules for babies but not for 8 y/os.

Tclanger, ds was seen by EP in Reception and she referred him to a Paed who discharged him after 2 sessions (not ASD as made eye contact with sister - perhaps a bit too rapid a diagonis?). His concentration didnt improve so after further obs by EP, lots of strategies were employed by school - visual timetables, reward charts, buddying etc but now school feel he is too old for these strategies as they no longer help. So we are back to square one, he still has poor organisation/concentration and school have no more ideas sad. I wish they had told me this earlier. I feel he has wasted a whole year now.

I have heard of Brain Gym, is it something to do at home? I assumed it was a school based thing. Will google Primary Movement.

bunny3 Tue 29-Jul-08 15:03:19

Thaks for IPSEA link too, have spoken to LEA.

Tclanger Tue 29-Jul-08 16:24:26

bunny3 Tue 29-Jul-08 21:26:35

who can organise a CAHMS assessment? gp or school? what is ADOS? Gawd, what a lot to learn about...

Tclanger, how often do you see EP / senco etc? What should I expect as a reasonalbe level of communication from them? I have been meeting termly with SENCO but I dohnt think it is enough. Should I ask for more or is termly pretty standard?

Littlefish Tue 29-Jul-08 21:29:14

Bunny 3, I think there are some omega 3, 6 & 9 capsules which are vegetable based called Dr Udos.

I'll see if I can find a link for them.

Littlefish Tue 29-Jul-08 21:31:42

Here they are

Tclanger Tue 29-Jul-08 21:58:10

Tclanger Tue 29-Jul-08 22:15:07

bunny3 Tue 29-Jul-08 22:50:31

thank you both for links. Will look into ordering Udos oil online or from local health food shop.
off to bed now, thanks again smile

amber32002 Wed 30-Jul-08 07:19:22

Not ASD as he made eye contact? Arrghhh! We can and do make eye contact. It's a myth that we generally don't. It's just bloomin' unpleasant for us, but we do it because we've learned that if you want friends you have to do it.

Typically I'll make 'eye contact' in any meeting because I have to, then go home and not look directly at any of my family or closer friends for the rest of the day to recover. My 'eye contact' tends to be me looking at something near their eyes, not into their eyes, or letting my eyes unfocus so that it looks like I'm making eye contact but I can't see a thing. Or I'll sit so they're against the light and I can't see their face anyway. All of it is good enough to make people think I'm doing eye contact.

I'm not saying the paed was wrong in their assessment, but I am saying that eye contact isn't as brilliant a way of spotting an ASD young person as people might think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now