Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

After moaning about my HV - praise for ds2's lovely SALT

(9 Posts)
Merlot Tue 08-Feb-05 22:06:38

Had a really positive session with ds2's SALT today. Ds2 was doing lots of `good looking' and `good listening' and we had a hilarious time with the SALT's doll. Ds2 was absolutely mesmerised by her eyes and eye lashes - will now rush out and buy him a doll tomorrow

Anyhow, for those of you that have seen me moaning on the HV thread - I just wanted to say that the SALT couldnt have been more understanding. I was bemoaning the fact that because ds2 has no real dx, we seem to have slipped through the net and that I only stumble across things, either from other SN mums or on here! Eg.. Someone on here suggested Portage, so I say `how about Portage' and the professionals say `oh yes thats a good idea' and I say `would hydrotherapy be good for ds2' and the professionals say `yes, that's a good idea'.

Anyhow, SALTy was very helpful and she was amazed that I didnt know more...I did the `whats this I've heard about something called team around the child' and she was absolutely amazed that we didn't have that. She is going to sort it and also to involve Social Services (not quite sure what that means - can anyone help please?) Finally, feel as if I am getting through these muddy and complex waters. She also really took on board the fact that I felt completely let down by the system (thank god for you lot! ) when ds2 was newly diagnosed with SN and she said that she was going to pass all this back....

Well all I hope is that some other new SN mum finds things a little easier as a result

coppertop Tue 08-Feb-05 22:25:10

The SALT sounds great. As soon as I read the words "good listening" and "good looking" I could actually hear ds1's SALT saying the words and doing the thumbs-up sign.

Well done. With any luck they will at least think about making things easier for others.

sparklymieow Tue 08-Feb-05 22:27:27

me too, with the "good looking" and "good listening" I can heard DS and DD1 SALT saying them

pixel Tue 08-Feb-05 23:00:19

Whenever ds's teacher says "good looking" I always want to say "We know he is, but what about his eye contact?"

Merlot Wed 09-Feb-05 08:11:39

LOL pixel

Saker Wed 09-Feb-05 08:27:35

It is a favourite with us "good looking" - but IME it is usually code for "not speaking or pointing" like you were supposed to

Socci Wed 09-Feb-05 09:06:32

Message withdrawn

chonky Wed 09-Feb-05 09:10:42

She sounds like a star Merlot - glad to hear that she's helping. The bit about ds & the doll is so sweet

coppertop Wed 09-Feb-05 18:23:38

ROFL at Pixel and Saker! You do know though that when ds2 starts getting SALT I will be in fits of giggles anytime the SALT uses any of those phrases?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now