Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

New Baby with Down´s Syndrome

(12 Posts)
Soph73 Sun 20-Jul-08 12:46:29

Hi there, just thought I´d post a quick message to get in contact with anyone else out there with a LO with Down´s. Our son was born on 22 April with Down´s - I didn´t have any tests while I was pregnant as it wasn´t an issue for me or DH.

We´ve been told he has mosaicism which we gather is the mildest form of Down´s. His health is perfect, apart from a slightly floppy neck so he goes to physio 3 mornings a week.

We don´t live in the UK so we are still getting to grips with all the paperwork and ways they do things over here. We are getting loads of help though & he´s due to be assessed when he´s 6 - 9 months old to see if we´re entitled to any state help.

I guess that´s about it, would love to hear from other people for any advice, tips, etc you could give us.

2shoes Sun 20-Jul-08 15:13:40

congratulions on your baby son.
I can't advise as my dd has cp. but am sure there will be someone along with advice,

VictorianSqualor Sun 20-Jul-08 15:22:46

Hi Sophsmile

Have no advice or tips just wanted to say Hi when I saw it was you.

Come and join us on post-natal, be nice to hear how you both are.
x

cocoledoublepost Sun 20-Jul-08 15:50:24

Congratulations on your new baby smile

Graciefer Sun 20-Jul-08 17:42:05

Hi there Soph73,

Congratulations on your new son smile

Our DS2 was born in September last year and also has downs syndrome (trisomy 21), like you we had no testing and didn't know beforehand.

DS2 has a few issues (talipes, nystamus, thyroid, chest problems and slightly hyptonic), but is a very cheerful chap and brings a smile to everybodys face.

Haven't really got any tips, as despite the downs syndrome DS2 is still miles ahead of DS1 (who is 5 and has ASD) and we are seeing things that we have never seen before what seems like everyday.

I attend a local downs syndrome support group once a month and get lots of my questions and queries answered there, by the parents of the older children, so if you have any particular questions or just want to chat, then please feel free to give me a shout.

I will definately post again, when I can think of something useful to say though grin.

Congratulations again to you and your DH and the birth of your new son.

sarah293 Sun 20-Jul-08 17:43:40

Message withdrawn

Seuss Sun 20-Jul-08 21:04:59

Congratulations on your baby, sorry can't advise cos my ds has ASD but there's plenty of good advice to be had on the special needs section and lots of support to be had if you need it. Enjoy your little boy!smile

Arabica Mon 21-Jul-08 02:04:59

Congratulations on your boy. My DD doesn't have Down's but she does have hypotonia which makes her a bit floppy, so she also has physio (and lots of other things too!) Where do you live?

eidsvold Mon 21-Jul-08 03:53:18

Congratulations on the birth of your little one.

My dd1 was born almost 6 years ago in the UK. She was born with down syndrome and a complete AVSD - basically no wall between aorta and none between ventricles in her heart. At 8 weeks old she had two open heart surgeries and has not looked back.

We now live in Australia ( moved when she was 2 years old). I am an aussie dh is english.

SHe attends mainstream school here in Australia as well as a couple of days in a special ed unit. This is going to become 5 days a week mainstream.

She has come on in leaps and bounds and is doing really well. Think there are still pics in my profile.

Advice - you have a new babe - enjoy it. I learnt very quickly in spite of health issues that dd1 was easy to care for in terms of day to day care and that in all of it - she was our little babe to enjoy, cuddle and smother with love ( as we did with our next two dds.)

Here in Australia I am a new parent support person for our state Down syndrome association. We are also members of the UK one too. We found the DSA UK brilliant for information and support.

geekgirl Mon 21-Jul-08 07:42:01

Hi there Soph, congratulations!

My dd2 has DS, alas she's not a little baby anymore but a big girl of 7 - she's a little poppet and we love her to bits . There are pictures of her in my profile.

She goes to mainstream primary and it's all going great.

Do you know of the DS-UK mailing list? It's an email list for parents of children with DS, and not just for those in the UK - we've got people from other countries on there too. It's a very friendly list. You can find the details here
And I presume you've already found the Mosaic DS group ?

Soph73 Mon 21-Jul-08 10:41:26

Hi everyone thanks for your messages. We live in Gran Canaria. I didn´t know about mailing list so thanks. back in a mo as lo is screaming!

Soph73 Mon 21-Jul-08 12:08:26

Sorry about that, LO was hungry Geekgirl - thanks for all that. I haven´t found the Mosaic DS group yet but will have a look in a mo.
eidsvold - yes we are enjoying him hugely & so´s his big brother. Day to day care is no different than it was with DS1 but we have noticed that he´s far more active at this age than DS1 was so he´ll probably be giving us a run for our money once he becomes completely mobile

DH & I work at the British School of Gran Canaria and DS1 attends (he´ll be in Year 2 in Sept). We´re hoping that Sam will also be able to attend, but that´s a few years away yet so we´ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The one thing I´m not looking forward to is going back to work. I have to go back on 22 Sept so Sam will have to go to nursery full-time. I had 3 years off with DS1 as we were only renting then so could live off one salary. We bought a house a couple of years ago so have a mortgage to pay now so I have to go back to work. I know that Sam will be OK but I think mums always suffer more than the little ones that have to go to nursery as we´re the ones trying to cope with the guilt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now