Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

speech therapy awarded in school

(11 Posts)
sarah293 Sat 19-Jul-08 13:18:06

Message withdrawn

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sat 19-Jul-08 15:24:28

Is it in part 2& 3 of the statement?

It sounds good for mainstream if you get it. (DS1 had SALT in part 2 and 3 of his statement. It was still ignored- he gets more at his special school even though it's now in part 5).

Tclanger Sat 19-Jul-08 18:02:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sarah293 Sat 19-Jul-08 18:31:03

Message withdrawn

Davros Sat 19-Jul-08 20:52:29

I expect what you will find that it will be X hours of a SLT's input, that does not mean 1:1 but assessment now and then, 1:1 now and then and advising other staff. Mind you, I am skeptical about the whole obsession with SLT as I think (as I said on another thread) that being in a "communication rich" environment is much more important. I mean where communication strategies, PECs and/or Makaton, scheduling etc are being used constantly. I can't remember what your DD's disability is though riven so I may be wide of the mark as I am speaking really about children with ASD and I DO think that 1:1 is beneficial at a young age but ongoing the whole package is more important.

sarah293 Sun 20-Jul-08 09:32:12

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Sun 20-Jul-08 10:39:26

Message withdrawn

Davros Sun 20-Jul-08 13:50:07

I think that is the usual arrangement, the SLT advises the other staff but your wording does sound better than some. It also sounds like her problems would be addressed with more classic SLT. Does her school have an SLT on site or will you have to go to CDC or at home? Either way, you will have to make sure that the hours of 1:1 are delivered and then put into practice. I think many people get SLT in the statement, it doesn't materialise, or at least not in the way they expected or as described, and they spend a lot of time trying to sort out what they haven't had iyswim. They should tell you exactly when the 1:1 sessions will take place as you may want to be involved but they might think this is too interfering.....
Either way, it is certainly better than not having it specified in the statement and having a set number of hours 1:1 is really good. Have they told you how they plan to deliver that so you can monitor?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sun 20-Jul-08 17:14:55

Ds1's was worded similarly, but the SALT worked mainly with the LSA.

Nymphadora Mon 21-Jul-08 00:45:53

It will be more like 1/2 hour a week rather than 1 hour sessions. 1 hour is a long time for a child to work 1:1. Though if its in school check it is done. Its too easy to get out of

sarah293 Mon 21-Jul-08 08:18:43

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now