Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I suupose I should be grateful that DS4 isn't seen as a child with obvious SN but I am getting weary of comments from people who don't really know us.

(31 Posts)
MehgaLegs Fri 18-Jul-08 20:20:31

He is 3, he is tall but developmentally he is at about the 20 month mark. He is full of beans, gabbles away in his own little world, waving and smiling at every one. He is growing stronger and walks quite well now but will deffo need a pushchair for a long time yet (even if it is to contain him on school run).

Another mum, who I know quite well, (fellow mum of four, same ages as mine) she is a highly intelligent woman - college professor, lectures in Education. I see her twice a week on school run and she always says the wrong thing. "Is DS4 out of nappies yet, oh you must potty train." " Are you still using the pushchair, oh Megha you must ditch the pushchair the freedom is great" " Does he just chatter all the time, my DS just chatters to me all day, he never stops asking questions" etc.. I know I have explained to her that my DS4 has GDD but she still does it. Today another mum said "Oh he is much too big for that pushchair " I just sort of looked at her.

I don't know the purpose of this post, just a rant I suppose but I wish people would just fuck off sometimes.

grin

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 18-Jul-08 20:34:23

Blimey.

She has the sensitivity of a brick.

You need to have witty retorts ready (they will pass her by, but will make you feel better!)

unfitmother Fri 18-Jul-08 20:35:28

Twats!

mummy2aaron Fri 18-Jul-08 20:37:33

We have the Autism badges for DS2 but 'fuck off and mind your own business' badges would be good, they would cover a wide range of situations where people are to imbecilic(sp?) to deserve a reply. smile

MehgaLegs Fri 18-Jul-08 20:37:42

I do need some witty retorts. At the moment I am just left gaping at her total self absorbed-ness (made up word?)and hooj insensitivity.

FioFio Fri 18-Jul-08 20:39:13

Message withdrawn

MehgaLegs Fri 18-Jul-08 20:39:17

mummy2 - now DS2 has got one of those badge making machines somewhere - maybe I should get busy.

MehgaLegs Fri 18-Jul-08 20:40:15

I know what you mean Fio - I always think the fact that he is wearing stonking great piedro boots on the end of his skinny little legs will spell it out but they don't seem to notice.

FioFio Fri 18-Jul-08 20:42:07

Message withdrawn

MehgaLegs Fri 18-Jul-08 20:42:23

Talking of pushchairs I have a great friend who's DS is mates with my DS3 - he has CP but no longer needs his fantastic pushchair which I have coveted for a very long time. It's a sort of 4x4 thing, very chunky with nice high handle. She is trying to find out if I can buy it from her - something to do with vouchers and stuff which I haven't looked into yet.

Doodle2U Fri 18-Jul-08 20:46:52

Lose the pushchair - the freedom is great? hmm Have to say, waving good bye to my push chair was bloody awaful to be honest. No where to hook coats, bags, bottles and other crap!

I wonder why people feel the need to comment?

mummy2aaron Fri 18-Jul-08 20:51:23

freedom at losing the pushchair - where the hell does she put her shopping - people like that always have time for shopping - i keep my pushchair for restraint purposes - oh yes the freedom for him to run under a bus - very angry

Seuss Fri 18-Jul-08 21:16:56

Great idea with the badges MehgaLegs - what was that t-shirt idea a while back? 'Looks normal, don't understand, will act like a twat!' Think that just about covers it here too.

The only thing I find with the Autism cards is that it's precisely the people who need educating that I don't feel like explaining to and just want to bog off.

cyberseraphim Fri 18-Jul-08 21:20:17

People are weird - I have a friend who knows about DS1'a speech problems/delay who assured me quite brightly that DS2 would speak earlier because he has an older brother to copy - and they say ASD people are reading off scripts !

expatinscotland Fri 18-Jul-08 21:22:20

We're starting to get the 'Your daughter is beautiful but dim' looks.

MehgaLegs Fri 18-Jul-08 21:30:32

We get the "How old did you say he was?" thing quite alot too.

lionheart Fri 18-Jul-08 21:38:59

That's shocking, expat.

Seuss Fri 18-Jul-08 21:47:11

I've just realised I'm sat here doing my 'evil eyes' glare at all these ignorant people. I wonder if the hairs on the back of their necks are tingling.

MannyMoeAndJack Fri 18-Jul-08 22:16:49

This woman has problems of her own - she is way too interested in your ds's development. Why is she so interested? I bet she likes to congratulate herself on how 'advanced' her dc4 is when compared to your SN ds. If she is a high achiever, then it's a safe bet that her dc will be expected to perform.

It's surprising how many 'lay' people do not recognise the significance of a Major.

Suggested ripostes for, 'he's much too big for that pushchair':

1) yes, he's on the 98th centile!!!! (said in gasping tones)
2) he's resting after his energetic [insert activity here: judo/karate/gym] session
3) the pushchair shrank after we jet-washed it

Tclanger Fri 18-Jul-08 22:31:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2shoes Fri 18-Jul-08 22:34:04

well if one more person says "oh what a shame" I will deck them.
megha get on the meet up thread dear.
and don't let the dinwit get you down.

KaySamuels Fri 18-Jul-08 22:55:14

we get 'how old is he?' all the time too hmm

DS here still uses buggy now and again, had him in the front of my double today and got some looks as he is a big lad.

why can't people mnd their own business? angry

What are these badges??

hijack alert*
*TClanger
edpsych confirmed ds on asd, but wants to do termly IEPs for now, reluctant to formally dx at this age.
hiack over

Seuss Fri 18-Jul-08 22:55:27

LOL at the 'puschair shrank after we jet-washed it'grin

KaySamuels Fri 18-Jul-08 22:58:32

someone asked me how ds writes his name

erm, he is 3!! hmm Even if he was NT I wouldn't put that pressure on him!!

I agree - insecurities.

cyberseraphim Sat 19-Jul-08 07:58:11

Tell her new research has proved that you will bond more effectively with your child if you use a pushchair until the child is psychologically adjusted to spatial dimensions. If you say it seriously enough, she might believe it. Tell her 'child led push chair weaning' means there is a higher chance of getting into a top university

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now