Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

speech delay and mainstream schooling

(5 Posts)
Phoenix4725 Fri 18-Jul-08 17:36:20

Ep has talked about sending son to mainstream next sept 2009 has anyone else had child in school with no speach and basic understanding how do the teachers teach aa non verbal child (also has global delay)how do they mix in playgrounds

ancientmiddleagedmum Fri 18-Jul-08 17:39:12

My boy is in mainstream but he is only part time and with a full time 1-to-1. My DS is a bit verbal now but was quite non-verbal when he started and is autistic so there is no way he could be alone in the school, esp. not the playground, but otherwise he is gaining a lot from being in mainstream. My 1-to-1 is also one of his ABA tutors from his home program, so she knows how to get the best out of him. Have you got a statement?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 18-Jul-08 18:11:15

DS1 was non-verbal (severe ASD) in mainstream (on advice of EP). It didn't work at all. He had full time 1;1. After 4 terms he moved to SLD/PMLD.

Long time until Sept 2009 so things might change for you. If they don't I'd insist on seeing all available provision.

sarah293 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:40:05

Message withdrawn

Seuss Fri 18-Jul-08 21:44:53

My ds was barely verbal when he started mainstream nursery and until year 1 he was okay. He had full time 1:1 but I found the school got a bit less supportive when our statement was rejected. He used to mix to start with but I think the gap got a bit big, partly because he was getting more and more excluded from the classroom which in turn made him more and more frustrated/angry. They also made no provision for him to spend lunch hour in school so he never got to play with classmates at lunch which I found a shame because he did like playing with others even when he didn't quite get what was going on. Some of the children were lovely though - really looked out for him and tried to include him. He now goes to a special school and whilst his first couple of years in mainstream were fine I wish now we had just got him into special school in the first place where he would have had more expert input in the early years. It does depend an awful lot on the school, teachers, tas and what additional help they get.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now