Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

For those of you with DCs with HFA / SLD / Aspergers...what do you do with your DCs during the school hols?

(22 Posts)
BriocheDoree Thu 17-Jul-08 15:27:57

Been stuck at home this afternoon as DS was sick this morning (all over the toy shop floor!!). Really have no idea what I "should" be doing with DD. She resists all my attempts to engage her in play, but wanders round the house looking bored. We don't usually stick around at home this much - we have a play park near by and as soon as we're all bored we just go there. What can I do to entertain DD when we're all stuck in that doesn't involve her watching endless DVDs (this would bore her after more than about an hour). Is there anything I "should" be doing to develop her play skills? Usually playdoh will appeal but today even that has been turned down. I think she's missing the structure of school, not to mention the other kids (she doesn't interact, but she does like to BE with them and watch them). She doesn't have friends to invite round...Feeling at a bit of a loss (though fortunately we're going away this w/e!) Anybody any suggestions??

Yummymum1 Thu 17-Jul-08 15:56:18

Will be watching this with interest as our hols start next week and i feel a certain amount of fear at what on earth we are going to do!!!

MannyMoeAndJack Thu 17-Jul-08 16:02:42

I don't know how old your dd is or what she is able to do but here are some suggestions (though I'm guessing they're ones you've thought of already!):

How about the usual painting, stickering, stamping, crafts and crayoning type activities? Or you could try hiding objects about the house and having her find them (with or without clues), like an indoor treasure hunt? Jigsaw puzzles that have an educational content (appropriate for her age and ability)? Sewing/knitting? Making your own T-shirts?

jenk1 Thu 17-Jul-08 16:21:48

with DD i am doing loads of craft activities,painting,scrapbooking,sewing,knitting generally making a mess!!!!

m hoping tht DS will join in but he prob wont and will stick to his nintendo ds and his xbox.

then theres the trampoline if we get nice weather,taking them to a park early in the day (before it gets crowded)baking,even things like DD helps me do my online shopping,-she is more harder to entertain than DS!!!

i will be pulling my hair out no doubt by the begin of August!!

sarah293 Thu 17-Jul-08 16:37:26

Message withdrawn

magso Thu 17-Jul-08 16:57:44

Ds has been off school due to the strike ( it affects support staff in his special school) so we have had a short taster- can you see the grey hairs already?wink!! I have ordered some books on floortime and sensory integration play - a little light reading - in hope of directional inspiration. Guess I wont have time to read them if they dont come soon.
There is a shopping playgroup that accepts older special needs children with a paediatricians letter and I heard they had received it so if all else fails I can go shopping!! Ds is 8 so can now attend a sn club and has 5 sessions (one a week)allocated. Apart from that we live close to a park with a paddling pool which helps provide the company he needs(he plays alongside others rather than with them), which is usually more sedate in the morning. Last year we had a routine, - breakfast- chores/tv- paddlingpool/walk-home for lunch- play(biscuit making/craft)/stories- go out - return for freeplay and tea!

allytjd Thu 17-Jul-08 17:01:26

V-tech "v-smile" is a good games console for young kids with educational games, you can get them on ebay, my younger two enjoy it.
I-spy books (you could make home-made picture versions)
Jigsaws
lego
let her take pictures with a digital camera(its quite interesting to see what interests them)
make a den
make a boat (two sofa pushed together)
tidy out the toy cupboards (rediscovering forgotten stuff)
tear up newspapers to put in the compost bin
cbeebies website
make minature gardens on an old tray or lid
stilts made from old paint (or formula) tins with string handles
let her do hairdressing /makeup on you (hoping you don't have to answer the door!)

BriocheDoree Thu 17-Jul-08 19:33:12

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. Think a trip to the craft shop is WELL overdue. Like the treasure hunt idea . Some of these things are a bit advanced for her (only just 4) and others were last year obsessions (couldn't get enough of jigsaws, now won't touch them!) but all great ideas! Usually if all else fails we go to local shopping centre and she can go on the merry-go-round / carousel thing that is obligatory in all French shopping centres, but couldn't take her along with vommy DS! Actually, I think it was being pulled out of the toyshop that set off the bad mood in the first place. That and the fact I had drugged her pre-dental appt with something that was supposed to calm her down and just ended up making her really arsey! TBH she's had so many appointments this last two weeks (neurologist, pediatrician, dentist, well child clinic thingy that French do at 4 years) that I suspect she's just got a bit narked! usually the only thing she has to do is go to SALT and that's FUN! Also like the hairdressing idea. DD is just starting to take more of an interest in her own appearance and wanting to wear a ponytail. Roll on proper going away holiday at the weekend!

iwearflairs Thu 17-Jul-08 21:49:26

in similar boat here and am trying to extend dS's playskills as he can't spend much time alone and I really want him to learn! am rotating things I hope he will develop into on his own with a bit of 'modelling' from me - activity books, play dough, large building blocks, imaginative play - and am going to do a sticker chart for things he makes without me and gradually work on time away.

other than that I rely on cbeebies, a local soft playcentre, chores, baking and snakes and ladders.

am definitely going for a routine as otherwise it is exhausting to have to think too hard about it!

Buckets Fri 18-Jul-08 10:44:31

My DS(3) enjoyed himself this week with some Playmaize (those coloured cheesey wotsits that glue together with water) - made a fantastic little butterfly by himself, I was really impressed!

He's also started wanting to help stir when I'm baking so little raisin cakes are fairly staple elements of our diet at the moment, and great for bribery incentives. Choosing lots of different fruit at the market and making fruit kebabs is fun (choc sauce to dip).

I rely on libraries as it means I can bribe the kids to do a little shopping with the promise of running amok in the library.

Have theme days. Eg Variation on dens is puppy kennels, put chopped chocolate cake in bowls on the floor, maybe put wrist straps on them and take them for a walk to the park. My DD(5) is always playing puppies and manages to get DS to join in for ages (he's the 'passive' playmate type).

FioFio Fri 18-Jul-08 12:23:37

Message withdrawn

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 18-Jul-08 12:52:14

I do the same as fio, with another adult im tow.

DS1 still doesn't actually settle to do anything - won't even watch tv now, certainly doesn't play. He likes to get out everyday.

MannyMoeAndJack Fri 18-Jul-08 13:05:27

We also look for quiet parks!!! I would say I know all the swing parks within a 20mile radius of our house...my ds is like a very large dog, one who requires daily, rigorous exercise, regular feeding and conducive company grin

knat Fri 18-Jul-08 13:12:16

great thread - i asked something similar on another thread. DD is 4.8 (ASD) and has now broken up. I really want to get the most out of the holidays as she starts school in September. Fortunately we're way next week so that's one week down. I definitely go for a routine (almost timetable like) this worked really well last summer. I dont have a car so it makes things a little difficult to go places as the bus is so expensive. Left toher own devices she would be on the computer or ds most of the day and trying not to do this although its so easy for me!!!!! Any more ideas welcomed.

Seuss Fri 18-Jul-08 13:29:39

The trampoline is definately the best thing we ever bought! We bounce around pretending to be pokemon and Kirby and various other computer game characters, using out special powers. (I say 'we' but I mean the kids - honest!)

bubble78 Fri 18-Jul-08 13:39:31

ive just joined local leisure club and got a membership for ds so will be taking him the every day smile he loves swinning plus i can get fit too shock

coppertop Fri 18-Jul-08 13:49:17

We usually aim for a basic routine whenever possible. Usually we go out somewhere in the morning, do some kind of activity at home in the afternoon, and then they have the same routines in the evenings as they do during term-time.

We have a pop-up tent that goes in the back garden and they both like hiding in there.

Last year we did:

- Making books: They told me their ideas for stories about their favourite TV characters, I wrote them down and they drew pictures for it.

- Simple craft kits: I think they painted fridge magnets, made pictures with little stampers, got glitter everywhere etc.

- Looking up things on the internet: If you have a child who loves patterns and moving images then have a look at some of the fractals sites. Both boys also had their own particular interests/obsessions that they wanted to look at.

- Blowing bubbles: Keeps them busy but can also be used for practising turn-taking.

- Making chocolate rice crispie cakes: Very quick and easy and hardly any washing-up afterwards.

- Museum: Ours has lots of activities for children during the holidays. Apart from the exhibitions themselves they usually have craft activities organised as well. You can leave whenever you like so there isn't the same pressure to stay that you get with usual craft groups.

- Park: Not many children seem to be around first thing in the morning so I aim to go then if possible. Cloudy days are also great because lots of parents only want to go out when the weather is good. Rainy days are even better if you have a child who isn't bothered about getting a bit wet.

Seuss Fri 18-Jul-08 14:00:35

yep - we go to the park really early too and when the weathers rubbish. Then if we want to go to Soft-Play we pick a nice hot sunny day when everyone else is off to the park.

Buckets Fri 18-Jul-08 16:14:48

I've heard trampolines recommended as it can really help de-stress them and bounce off excess energy. I just know I wouldn't be able to keep a garden one in good condition though, I'm such a lazy slut!blush As is DH, we are bad influences on each other LOL.

Seuss Fri 18-Jul-08 16:21:12

We got ours last summer and I think it only had the cover on for about a week when it was really raining and so far it is unscathed - they are quite hardy! I've even heard them recommended in regards to sorting a limited diet - apparently a good bounce before a meal helps them focus on the food and 'grounds' them long enough to try things/focus on the meal. (Or something like that - made far more sense when the teacher explained it!)

Sorry went off subject but can't recommend trampolines enough!

FioFio Fri 18-Jul-08 20:09:52

Message withdrawn

Seuss Fri 18-Jul-08 21:31:37

Must admit I was very relieved that they all really liked the trampoline cos it could have been a very big, very expensive mistake if they hadn't!

LOL - 'wet your pants bit' - I did fear for my pelvic floor the first few times!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now