Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Hi, new here with a couple of questions

(6 Posts)
AliceRosesMum Wed 16-Jul-08 16:43:53

Im was lucky enough to have a lovely daughter in February. However she has had some pretty horrendous health issues after she was born and by the skin of our teeth we made it through to the other side.
My husband and I work together on the family company. Therefore she comes to work with me ( and supervises!). Maternity leave was never really an option, and as we spent her 2nd and 3rd month in ICU we are now catching up and working like demons.
I dont have any family support, as my family are not in the area ( but are in the process of selling up and relocating here to help)
I am aware that I am very lucky to be able to bring her to work with me, but in the future there may be times when I need someone to look after her for an hour or 2. I am terrified of having to put her in a nursery- and dont think any local ones would accept her with her current medical requirements. So basically has anyone got any suggestions- I would like to find a trained carer for maybe 4 hours a week- with resus training and not afraid to look after a child with special needs and on medication. Im not really sure where to start looking. I dont want to entrust her into anyone's care, but practically we need to have a secure future for her- and we can only do this through working hard to provide for her.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 16-Jul-08 17:10:06

There's a special needs nanny agency. They're not cheap, but would probably be able to provide people with the right experience. I can't remember their name though! Hopefully someone else will.

Do ask social services as well.

And depending on when you want the carers it might be worth contacting your local PMLD school- some of the LSA's will be looking for extra work and some will have the sort of training you want.

'Welcome' to the SN section of mumsnet (I know we don't want to be here but it's a friendly place).

2shoes Wed 16-Jul-08 17:11:45

welcome to sn topic. and if that is your dd's name it is lovely
what county do you live in?

KatyMac Wed 16-Jul-08 17:12:25

Lots of childminder work with children with complex medical needs - your difficulty will be finding them

Good Luck - I hope you find someone lovely

reiver Wed 16-Jul-08 17:12:52

Welcome and congratulations on the birth of your daughter. Sounds as if you've had a tough few months though.
What about asking your health visitor if they know anyone, perhaps with nursing experience, who would be available.

AliceRosesMum Thu 17-Jul-08 10:11:23

Thanks for the helpful replies. My Health Visitor is a little lost and overstretched at the min,but I will ask her again. Im in Warwickshire.
And yes- we called her Alice Rose- thank you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now