Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Makaton for 'granny'??

(11 Posts)
jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 15-Jul-08 23:12:45

I thought I'd asked this already, but must have dreamed it.

Is there a Makaton sign for granny. DS1 seems to be doing a bastardised version of 'mummy' but appears to use it for granny. Would like to give him the real one if there is one.

bullet123 Tue 15-Jul-08 23:17:44

There is but my mind has gone blank. I do know that you make a fist with one hand then place the other on top, but it's done in a set way. Anyway, that's the "grand" bit. Now make the sign for "mummy" and together you have your "grandmother".
Something Special has done a programme specifically about families which includes the signs for nan and grandad. I'll see if there are any clips.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 15-Jul-08 23:19:32

Oh my. That's kind of what he does.....

thank you!

sphil Tue 15-Jul-08 23:28:09

Yes I think Bullet is right - one fist knocks against the other, then three fingers in palm (2 taps?) . I remember because guinea pig is similar - same fist thing, then sign for pig grin

notcitrus Wed 16-Jul-08 22:27:10

yes, that's the BSL sign for grandmother (G then MOTHER).

Makaton mainly uses the signs of the local sign language (but I think the difference is the grammar is simplified), so you might find a BSL dictionary useful - the first link if you google 'BSL dictionary' can send you a free one on CD. Lots of other free online resources too.

Romy7 Thu 17-Jul-08 09:37:25

yes - 'G' then 'M' 'M'

misscutandstick Thu 17-Jul-08 13:49:54

Jimjams - can email you the PDF file of the first 8 stages of makaton if you wish (its line drawings of the signs, NOT pecs). i dont mind if anyone else wants it either. XXX

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Thu 17-Jul-08 13:56:42

Thanks all.
Thanks misscut- but I have it printed out. I couldn't see grandmother on there (although I may have missed it).

WedgiesMum Thu 17-Jul-08 22:08:40

Ooooh misscutand stick could you email it to me?? Have started using a few signs with DS to try and reinforce what I am asking him to do and it would be useful.

My email is puttybrick at aol dot com

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

WMxxxxx

Sidge Thu 17-Jul-08 22:19:57

I think Bullet was right - you put one fist on top of the other (like one potato two potato!) then sign M for mother.

Mr Tumble did it so it must be right!

eidsvold Thu 17-Jul-08 22:24:54

oh I was about to say what sibble said. That is what I used for dd1 but as we use aussie makaton and not UK I was wondering if they were the same.

So sign 'g' and then 'm'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now