Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do I register my son as disabled?

(9 Posts)
lourobert Tue 15-Jul-08 16:05:41

....and is it worth actually doing so? What are the benefits?


sarah293 Tue 15-Jul-08 16:08:10

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Tue 15-Jul-08 16:09:20

You need to apply for DLA on his behalf.

What's his diagnosis, or what does his paed see as his disability?

lourobert Tue 15-Jul-08 16:17:15

We get DLA- high care and will get high rate mobility from his 3rd birthday. Im told registering him as disabled is different tp DLA though?????

He is sevrely disabled

sarah293 Tue 15-Jul-08 16:19:10

Message withdrawn

PeachyBAHons Tue 15-Jul-08 16:20:40

dla usually is what they mean

but also cuncils hold a list of sn kids that is sometimes called the disabled reg, ime its basically a mailing list and what ypu get depends on the usefulness of your counciol and the age of your child- ds1 gets invited to sn consultations etc (though he has given up talking as a new hobby so that'd be a waste of time!), and we get a flyer job but tbh it's 90% self congratulatory crap, and 10% adverts- leaving 0% for topics of use LOL!

cory Tue 15-Jul-08 17:19:41

Like Riven, we've never had problems with getting a carer in for free when we've turned up in a wheelchair. But we've had endless trouble trying to get the doctors to agree to support our DLA application; they thought it might be bad for dd's self image if she perceived herself as disabled. Ha, as if she wouldn't twig anyway when she can't walk.

PeachyBAHons Wed 16-Jul-08 09:45:03


firstly point out to the GP that as your DD is under 16 the DLA would be paid to you, therefore she needn't be told of her disabilty

Then apply anyway if you ahven't- you don't the say so from any aprticualr professional, school reports etc count, and if she can't walk just get the DLA Dr around to see

Raine3 Mon 28-Jul-08 23:30:49

Cory ...

Just as a point of intrest if you are on a higher rate of DLA you get more working/child tax credits.

although You will only get a higher rate of DLA if your child needs any care during the night ... and of course there is the blue badge which you can have from the age of two

and apart from anything else there are peolpe out there claiming these benefits who have nothing wrong with them ... whereas your DD is entitled to this benefit ... so go kick some butt and get her what she deserves xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now