Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Child tax credit advice needed - make that disability benefits in general!

(5 Posts)
CaptainPlump Mon 14-Jul-08 14:36:32

Can anyone advise me? When DS first started getting DLA (back in 2006) he was given the middle rate for care. I'd been told that I should claim the disabled child tax credit element of child tax credit, so I called the helpline and they told me that as our income was so high we wouldn't actually get anything extra as it's means tested.

I accepted that, but last year we decided to ask the DLA people to look at our claim for DS again, and in December they awarded him the high rate for care and mobility. Recently people have been saying to me that we really ought to be getting some extra tax credits for DS, so I've done a bit of research online. Today I called the CTC helpline, and when I (finally!!) got through the man on the other end told me that yes, we should be getting the severely disabled child tax credit, but that they could only backdate it for the last three months.

Can they really get away with that? There's so little guidance given on these matters, and even the government websites are really confusing on the matter of what's means tested and what isn't. I didn't think there was any point in asking after what I was told first time!

Has anyone else had this experience? Also, am I missing out on anything else??

Thanks in advance!

Widemouthfrog Mon 14-Jul-08 15:08:08

I'm no expert, but I suspect this is correct. You qualified for the severely disabled premium as soon as you were awarded high rate DLA, however, as you did not inform the CTC until after that date, the award can only be backdated by a maximum of three months.

It stinks, I know, as if we know what we can apply for and when!!!
You could try and appeal as you have a clear date when your childs needs changed (ie, the date of the updated DLA award - but at the end of the day they are following their own rules to the letter. The DLA award should have clearly stated that you should also update CTC claim.

Sidge Mon 14-Jul-08 15:11:26

Bear in mind that even the Severe Disability Element is means tested. We qualify for it as DD2 gets higher rate DLA, but it is reduced to nil due to DHs salary (which isn't even that impressive.)

You may be able to claim Carers Allowance, if you earn less than £95 pounds a week after certain deductions.

CaptainPlump Mon 14-Jul-08 15:23:33

Oh well, if the severe disability element is means tested I shouldn't think we'll get any of it. We certainly won't get Carer's allowance! On the other hand I'm pretty much sure I'm going to be leaving my job just as soon as the sick leave runs out, so it's useful to know that these things are out there and that they all add up.

Thank you!

Raine3 Mon 28-Jul-08 23:48:16

A friend of mine who has DS has just been given a grant to add a downstairs room/extension .... £30k maximum

I know there is a government funded society called 'junction seven' who are there to tell you what you are entitled to, but this may just be in Northants ???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now