Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Reports came home today, and I am left feeling depressed as always!

(14 Posts)
Pinkchampagne Fri 11-Jul-08 15:52:31

I hate school report day - it just highlights the fact that DS has major problems, and that DS isn't making progress like he should.sad I feel envious of all the mums who can have a little brag about how well their child has done, or even how their child is a good average.
DS's school reports always leave me feeling bloody depressed! Sorry, I just needed to let off somewhere!

Pinkchampagne Fri 11-Jul-08 15:59:10

It states that my DS has made little progress this year. How will he cope with year 4?! I am beside myself with worry as I am at this time every year.

sarah573 Fri 11-Jul-08 16:10:41

I've just come on to post the very same thing! DS1 (10 with AS) 'left' his current MS primary last term, and is now on home tuition - his report from the school came home with DS 2 today - and is not nice reading!
It reminds me why he shouldn't be at that school, and how little they understood and supported him. sad
Moan over!

Pinkchampagne Fri 11-Jul-08 16:38:13

It is depressing isn't it?sad

They also have to fill in their own little reports. All DS's ticks are back to front, and he has put in his "targets for next year" section "to go home!"

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 11-Jul-08 17:18:18

Pinkchampagne

Poor soul - clearly his eduational needs are not being met here.

May I ask what the nature of his difficulties are?.

Unless his needs are met he will continue to fall behind in Year 4. It has only been in the last year or so that I have been able to look at my DS's schoolwork without actually wanting to cry.

Would suggest you talk with IPSEA or SOS;SEN as they can also advise.

Pinkchampagne Fri 11-Jul-08 18:04:32

He has very poor concentration (even has trouble in small groups), very poor organizational skills, poor social skills, reverses letters, very lathargic 9will constantly slouch, even while eating etc) numbers, ticks etc. It states that he struggles with whole class activities, but also in small groups. He has been highlighted as one of the children who has not made progress this year, and he shows little enthusiasm for anything.

We started the assessment process with him, and he has seen a child psychologist, OT (once) and speech therapist (once), and now the pead is urging that he is seen by the educational psychologist, which I have spoken to school about. He is on school action +, but has been for years & little seems to be improving. My 5 year old is taking over him with handwriting.

Pinkchampagne Fri 11-Jul-08 18:05:20

Should sat "reverses numbers, ticks etc"

Pinkchampagne Fri 11-Jul-08 18:05:46

Sorry, rushing as going out in a bit!

bubblagirl Fri 11-Jul-08 18:24:30

sorry to hear this pinkchampagne does he get much one to one to help him at all?

it sound slike he could really do with this as if poor concemtration you'll need someone there to help you along to meet goals

bubblagirl Fri 11-Jul-08 18:24:55

concentration

anxiousmax Fri 11-Jul-08 19:34:21

This annoys me so much, if the school report is all negative it is much more a reflection of their ability to teach your son than it does about his ability to learn.

DS2'S abilities are limited but his report is about his (small) achievements & his personality etc.
His teacher actually wrote "i am full of admiration for the courage he has shown" She acknowledges that just getting through the door & sitting in a class is an achievement.
If they are failing him they should be discussing it on a 1 to 1 with you throughout the year.

Can you ask to meet with the SENCO & find out what they feel they can do to support him further in the classroom.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 11-Jul-08 20:11:52

PinkChampagne

Has he ever been assessed for dyspraxia?. OT will not likely though use that term.

Having read your message I would now apply to your LEA for a Statement of Special Needs for your son. SA plus to my mind at least is limited in scope and will not provide any one to one. Apart from that its other main problem is that it (SA plus) is not legally binding. With regards to your son it is clear that his additional educational needs are not being met on SA plus.

A Statement is legally binding and should provide him with a set number of hours of support per week. A well written Statement is worth its weight in gold and is invaluable.

You do not need anybody's permission to apply for such a document; infact you as his Mum are in a far better position than school would be in asking for such a thing. Parents can appeal in the likely event the LEA say no, school cannot.

IPSEA www.ipsea.org.uk are very good and there are model letters you can use.

BTW these things can take six months to set up so time is important here too.

You are your son's best - and only - advocate.

pinkbubble Sat 12-Jul-08 23:08:28

PC, have just seen this, sorry I asked you last night about DS's reports, but genuinley(SP) interested in how both are getting on DS's are getting on.

PC, I feel for you, obviously in different ways, but in a way I honestly know how you feel.

Talk to the new teacher in September. (surely it cant do any harm!

Pinkchampagne Sun 13-Jul-08 17:52:59

Thank you for that link, ATM. I have strongly suspected dyspaxia for some time. He ticks loads of the symptoms on the dyspraxia website. Didn't get much at all from the one OT appt though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now