Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Very Interesting Article on Causes of Autism

(6 Posts)
cyberseraphim Fri 11-Jul-08 11:06:53

www.theherald.co.uk/search/display.var.2390029.0.married_cousins_helping_study_of_autism.php

I haven't come across this angle before - looking at cultures where cousin marriage may happen more often than here.

Hathor Fri 11-Jul-08 11:15:14

A condition that has a genetic link - that is inherited (which autism may be - I don't know if this has been proved at all) may be more likely to surface if the parents are related. This would apply to all sorts of inherited conditions, not only autism.

I think the article is saying that this is useful for research into finding more out about the genetics of autism, as it is easier to find out which genes might be involved when you can study families with related parents.

cyberseraphim Fri 11-Jul-08 11:20:30

I was interested in the reference to gene therapy for autism. I know there was some work done at Edinburgh University which seemed to suggest that that Retts Syndrome could be reversed in the brains of lab mice. I'm not looking for a cure for DS1 but it's good to know that there is research in the pipe line for future generations.

Hathor Fri 11-Jul-08 11:23:31

Yes. Gene therapy research may help lots of conditions in the future. I hope autism is one of them.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 11-Jul-08 11:28:34

I don't think gene therapy will ever be a big thing in autism because autism in many cases is effected by multiple genes.

There are some cases caused by known single genes, so perhaps it could be employed there. However there are multiple single genes that appear to be affected.

nikos Sun 13-Jul-08 16:43:04

That's an interesting article. I wonder if that is why early intervention can be so successful - the by passing the defective gene he talks about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now