Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do i get started with PECS? please

(8 Posts)
misscutandstick Fri 11-Jul-08 07:55:55

I am hoping to start with PECS with DS5 who is 2.1, non-verbal, preDX with autistic traits. Since his regression at 14mths, he is re-learning how to point - hes done it twice now! makaton is ongoing - but he really doesnt get it at all! however ds4 (NT 3yrs) is a whizz at it!

I was reading other posts and the lady(sorry cant remember who said it) said she wished she had started earlier with Pecs. so i wanted to give it a go.

the problem being he doesnt seem to 'get' pictures in books - unless its a TV character hes familiar with. Theres no way hes going to understand pictograms, making photos would not be a problem however. On some occasions i can get him to imitate - but only by copying him first, and most times he just wanders off. he has a very short attention span.

But how do i start? what do i do? any advice much appreciated. Thanks

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 11-Jul-08 09:05:47

You need it introduced properly.

The best way is to go on a 2 day workshop They do them half price for parents, and are very professional - I've been on a number of their workshops and they're great. It;s the sort of thing a charity might fund if it's too expensive. I always suggest trying the local rotary club first of all.

However more and more SALTS, early years workers etc etc are being trained in this (although tbh after training their understanding varies wildly- if you can do the workshop I really would even if you have a local PECS trained SALT).

PECS does not need imitation skills. Its why its so useful when things like Makaton don't work. We got nowhere with Makaton until ds1 was almost 8. It took a while but we made steady progress with PECS (started at 3) and ds1 is now very good.

It's been essential.

misscutandstick Fri 11-Jul-08 14:14:44

just had a look at the link JJ. And GRRRR the nearest one to me is Sheffield - yesterday and today! how annoying is that???

Dot has both a SALT and Portage, so will check with them to see if they know if there are other courses.

Many thanks for the reply - if only id asked earlier!!!

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 11-Jul-08 15:00:10

They run them pretty regularly. Perhaps email them and ask when they're likely to be up your way again.

In the meantime the PECS DVD is worth getting. It shows all the phases and demonstrates what you need to do. It would get you started (particularly with support from a SALT or portage).

misscutandstick Fri 11-Jul-08 16:03:44

Dot has a SALT appointment on Thursday morning, so i will definately bring up PECS with her - you never know if she is PECS trained (which i would assume so) she might have info/dvd/etc which would save some cash. But if she doesnt will chase it up via email direct. Will have a good look around the site at my leisure this evening, without all the kids nagging! Many thanks again.

Joggeroo Fri 11-Jul-08 22:29:57

I haven't anything new to add except to say go for it. We tried to introduce photos to help DS request things but didn't know how to teach him to actually exchange a picture to get an item until I went on the PECs course.
I found the course challenging but empowering, really gave me confidence and was very comprehensive, also helped me start to address longer term issues (though your lo is still young). I found their materials good so although I haven't seen the DVD i expect it would be a good start if there's no local course. At 2/3 my DS understood photos well and that's what we used then, though after 2 years at school where he's been exposed to symbols, he is crazy about them and understands them well now.
from what i have read on MN over the last couple of years, some SALTs and other professionals say they use PECS but they haven't done the course, be wary and find out as much for yourself as when it's done properly can really work well.
We have used makaton for a long time and it has helped DS's understanding but he hasn't used more than a couple of signs himself. We do however still use it as it is good in busy places to help gain his attention and he's at school where his peers use sign, so I want him to be able to communicate with them in the longer term.

sphil Fri 11-Jul-08 22:54:24

We started with photos too - and made them quite large.

Davros Sat 12-Jul-08 00:06:19

Agree that you should really go on the course if you can. You won't find any proper PECs courses other than those run by Pyramim, they keep a tight grip on their "brand"! I would also buy a copy of the Training Manual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now