Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Possible Makaton sign?

(7 Posts)
AbstractMouse Thu 10-Jul-08 23:32:40

I thought I may get the answer in this section.
Ds is 20 months and doesn't really talk yet, has a few words/phrases. Lately he has been doing a funny thing with his hand, which to me looks like a sign. He holds his hand out in front of of him and moves it in a circle in the horizontal plane. He does this all the time, does anyone recognise it as a sign? I'm not sure if it's just a random thing, one of his favourite programs is something special, so it's possible he could have picked it up.

He mostly seems to do it when he is enjoying himself, or sees something he likes.

If not is this something to worry about? I'm trying hard to do the whole nonchalant "oh he'll talk when he's ready" thing, but failing miserably and contemplating talking to the Gp.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 11-Jul-08 08:09:02

That's hello in makaton isn't it? Justin does that in that annoying programme on cbeebies every morning.

stig29 Fri 11-Jul-08 08:24:26

Hi there, is his hand flat palm facing upwards? or is his hand kind of upright palm facing outwards ( a bit like your saying stop ) ? I would have a sit and watch justin with him to see if you can spot it, it could be he is saying where ? or next time your talking to him be aware of your own natural hand gesture, he may of picked it up from you. I wouldn't worry about it at all,if yo have a look for babysign on the internet you will see that it can help children communicate. If you are worried though I would take him to your gp, just to put your mind at rest the more its nagging you at the back of your mind the more tense you will get and he will pick up it

cyberseraphim Fri 11-Jul-08 09:25:44

Do you have any other concerns about his development ? Words and phrases at 20 months sounds fine. Does he communicate and interact with you ? My NT 20 month old has only single words and only one phrase - 'more juice' but I have no worries about him because he is ticking all the other boxes and has done for ages. He loves Something Special too and uses a lot of made up sign language.

TotalChaos Fri 11-Jul-08 09:33:44

Agree with cyber - your description doesn't really sound particularly worrying or abnormal for that age. never any harm speaking to GP/HV or if you are lucky enough to have such a thing, a drop in speech therapy clinic.

Nat1H Fri 11-Jul-08 23:14:10

whomovedmychocolate - we LOVE Justin!! grin I wish I could sign as effortlessly as he does!

moondog Fri 11-Jul-08 23:16:55

I'm a salt.
Also have a baby signing business.
20 mths is still very young. However, if you are worried, ask for a salt referral from GP.
What you describe could well be start of a sign. Just as words start with approximate noises, signs start with approximate shakes.

The best thing you can do is sign to him as much as possible. The more he sees you do it, the more he will want to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now