Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

touch screens

(15 Posts)
Saker Wed 09-Jul-08 13:54:31

I'm thinking of getting one of these screen adaptors that you can use to turn your screen into a touch screen for Ds2's birthday. Ds2 cannot begin to use the mouse but since having access to a smart board at school he keeps touching the screen hopefully. Has anyone got any experience of them - do they distort the picture at all and would they be easy for him to use - any comments appreciated!

misscutandstick Wed 09-Jul-08 13:59:52

i think i only have one comment - goodness arent they expensive!?!

they look a good idea, is it worth the money tho?

Saker Wed 09-Jul-08 14:40:20

I think it would be if it meant that Ds2 could access the computer.

Saker Wed 09-Jul-08 14:42:34

I'm not thinking of getting a new monitor just the adaptor - abuot £114. I don't think that's outrageous given the technology involved.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 09-Jul-08 14:52:46

I have no idea about those screen things, but if he can use a pen, you could try a graphics tablet, which are only about £30 and he might find easier to use than a mouse. My dad used to use one as an alternative to a mouse, they are sometimes used with people who have difficulties with mouse.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 09-Jul-08 14:58:40

That looks brilliant Saker.

I personally think graphics tablets are harder than a mouse - they can be very over-sensitive. I get in a right mess with mine

DS1 went from touch screen to huge rollerball (from inclusive technology) to mouse.

Do you have a local ICT SN advisory service. I think most LA's do. Usually they work with schools (mainstream) but would no doubt be able to give some advice. Might even have one to try.

Saker Wed 09-Jul-08 16:11:59

He's not got the motor skills to deal with a graphics tablet - he can only scribble with a pen.

I will look into whether there is an advisory service, Jimjams, thanks. I would also like some suggestions as to software, so that could be helpful too. I can try and ask at school also, but it's really near the end of term and they are a bit mad at the moment with activity weeks and trips etc.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 09-Jul-08 16:25:27

inclusive technology are your people for software.

DS1 can only scribble as well. We've just started to teach him to handwrite using hand support - he's actually doing it quite well. I can see that it is going to be a ridiculously long process but I can also see that something I thought would be impossible 10 days ago actually probably will work eventually.

heartinthecountry Wed 09-Jul-08 16:25:32

I know people who have used them and say they are fine. Only issue with them apparently is if your child is likely to pull them off all the time.

I'm planning on getting a touch screen for dd1. Can't get one of these as we have a iMac (wrong dimensions) so am going to have to splash out on a full-on new screen. Otherwise I would.

wannaBe Wed 09-Jul-08 16:37:46

I would contact the supplier and ask if they are exhibitin this anywhere. A lot of the adaptive technology companies do have stands at exhibitions such as

sight village

there may be similar exhibitions for solutions such as the touch screen. Definitely worth asking.

If not ask if they can arrange a demonstration - they may be able to come to your house or the school to show you how it works.

I got someone to come out and demonstrate

this
for me. I didn't buy it and they didn't charge for the demo.

bubblagirl Wed 09-Jul-08 16:41:32

my ds uses one at SNAP and they are fantastic

wannaBe Wed 09-Jul-08 16:46:19

www.disabilityaction.org/exhibition08/EXSemAndDemo.aspxhave a look here
have only skimmed the site but looks like they may be running something more along the lines of what you're looking for.

Saker Wed 09-Jul-08 17:07:18

Thanks everyone, all useful info!

misscutandstick Wed 09-Jul-08 20:07:25

sorry for my earlier post, it must have been that the only ones i looked at were in the region of £450... but at about £100, its much more reasonable. Sorry.

Saker Wed 09-Jul-08 20:40:26

No problem smile - that website is a bit confusing I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now