Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

is it a case of 3rd time lucky?

(9 Posts)
misscutandstick Wed 09-Jul-08 10:09:52

I heard amongst a grapevine - so really not sure if its at all true or just someones wishful thinking...

DLA - (sorry!) i have been told that they generally award lifetime once a 2/3 renewal has been done. Has anyone any experience on this? Does it depend on the reason for getting DLA? (say for instance someone with Downs will always have downs and may always need more help, but in the case of mild aspergers a child would need lots of help whereas an adult who is well adjusted would need very little help if any at all. Or perhaps a disability that is very much physical as opposed to a mental one, CP compared to autism, the physical one may always need help and therefore be awarded from the first, but autism may need to keep renewing as they might one day improve)

Sorry if ive offended anyone with my assumptions on any given ability - my intention is not to insult, just to assertain wether or not the 'third time round' theory actually has any grounding at all

Many thanks for any replies

coppertop Wed 09-Jul-08 10:25:34

I haven't made it as far as a 3rd application yet but from what I can see they make up the rules as they go along.

Ds2's first DLA award lasted from when he was 2yrs old until 5yrs old. The current one runs until he's 8yrs old.

Ds1's first DLA award lasted from when he was 3yrs old until 7yrs old. The current one runs he's 11yrs old.

AFAIK you usually need to re-apply when you become an adult, at around 16yrs old or 18yrs old (can't remember which).

misscutandstick Wed 09-Jul-08 11:26:07

its 16yrs. I know that individual timed awards generally last 2-4yrs. its timed usually to co-incide with birthdays to make the award a complete 2/3/4 yr award, so it also runs out on the child 16th birthday. Then its an adult claim.

misscutandstick Thu 10-Jul-08 08:08:55

anyone any other experience?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Thu 10-Jul-08 09:15:10

I'm hoping for a lifetime award next time. We've had one 3 year, then one 5 year. But given that ds1 is completely non verbal aged 9 and attends an SLD/PMLD school I'm hoping that they'll decide to save ours and their time and just give us it for life.I think we're due to renew next year.

jenk1 Thu 10-Jul-08 17:50:22

DD had one from being 6 mths old til 3, then 3 til 5.

DS had one from 8 till 11 and from 11 til he,s 16.

am hoping they will award DD,s for longer as she has a lifetime condition of hemi and PDD-NOS which is also lifetime, DS has AS/PDD and is in special school, will prob have to see when he,s 16 what they say, but like you said DD/DS will have lifetime difficulties.

hate the dreaded DLA form. will have to start filling DD,s out in oct and i HATE IT, i always feel depressed afterward.

Graciefer Thu 10-Jul-08 18:15:34

DS1 (ASD) got his award when he was 2.5 years old and it runs until 2015 when he will be 12 years old.

It seems like there isn't any rhyme or reason to their award processes.

misscutandstick Fri 11-Jul-08 07:36:52

ooh gracie! how peculiar!!! I think i tend to agree... thats not logical at all. Pehaps your DS will magically 'get better' and 'grow out of it' thru puberty? LOL still it certainly saves you and them paper, time and hassle. As opposed to Jenk, who seems to have to reapply every couple of years for a condition that will affect for life, what a very strange system it is.

Many thanks for your replies, does anyone else have experience of this?

Geri2 Fri 11-Jul-08 23:27:18

Hi my dd was awarded dla both higher for mobility and care till she's 16. She's 11, will be 12 next Month..(oh my gawd, can't beleive that - I really find her birthday hard to cope with, but just get on with it)

Anyway it was quite a while ago, I'm guessing 4 years as really can't remember. It may well have been about 3 claims in, but I also wrote asking why I had to keep filling the forms in every 2 years when she was always going to have the problems she has. (Severe Autism with Severe learning dis thrown in for good measure! plus epileptic)

Not sure if that helps you... just my expereince.

apologies for spelling errors - passed my bedtime, and am rather tired!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now