Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

toilet training

(9 Posts)
nuru Tue 08-Jul-08 22:34:34

dd2 (coming up for 2y 6m) has Down's. we have been given a potty chair by the OT and she is very comfy sitting on it. she produces a wee when she sits on it (clearly knows what is expected as will squeeze and produce anything from a tiny trickle to a big wee) and loves the praise. we are not in a regular routine of sitting at certain times, just as and when.

with dd1 we just went 'cold turkey' straight into fulltime pants and she did well with that. i guess i'm just wondering if I can expect the same with dd2 - does anyone have any experience of training a dc with learning difficulties, and how it compared to training other kids?

2shoes Wed 09-Jul-08 21:58:32

bumping for you

Romy7 Thu 10-Jul-08 10:54:02

no ld here - dd2 has cp, but was the easiest by far to toilet train (once the physical logistics had been organised lol)
bumping for you

cyberseraphim Thu 10-Jul-08 11:05:36

I posted some tips about 2 weeks ago

mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=1373&threadid=556169#11362937

was for boy with ASD so so no idea how similar the problems may be but he does come under category of learning difficulty.

nuru Thu 10-Jul-08 19:57:04

thanks for the bumps and encouragement
your thread is really useful cyber. hope your ds is still doing well.

have tried putting her on the potty more regularly today (but still wearing nappies) and she is enjoying it - chooses herself a magazine from the selection by the side!
just trying to decide whether to go 'cold turkey' now, or wait until dd1's school holidays start.

i didn't bother with trainer pants with dd1 (have used washable nappies with both girls) but am wondering whether they might be handy with dd2 - anyone have any experience of using them? don't want to spend money if I don't have to!

Romy7 Fri 11-Jul-08 11:19:38

we didn't - i think there is conflicting advice now, but if you do go that route, make sure you get the ones that 'feel' wet to her if she has a leak - that way she will know when she is wet - some of them are so absorbent there is no lasting clue for the kids to pick up on!

TotalChaos Fri 11-Jul-08 11:46:40

the advice is to go cold turkey and be prepared for lots of accidents; but I wimped out and let DS wear nappies out and about unless we were somewhere with lots of toilets (museum, zoo etc) and we got there in the end.

Romy7 Fri 11-Jul-08 11:57:28

you can get a 'piddle pad' for buggy...

nuru Sat 12-Jul-08 16:54:30

thanks for the replies
that's my worry about feeling wet because at the mo she is in washable nappies and can have a really soggy one on (oops!) and apparently not be bothered. she is a bit hyposensitive tho generally, so i wonder if that extends to the nappy area too.
think i'm going to have to just go for it.

'piddle pads' sound a good idea - with dd1 i used a little foldable change mat with a washable prefold nappy on top in the buggy and car seat and that worked well - thanks for reminding me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now