Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

dont worry, they wont be little for long

(46 Posts)
FineFigureFio Tue 01-Feb-05 16:11:24

is it just me?

I am not usually violent but the next person who says this to me....I will punch them

Donbean Tue 01-Feb-05 16:13:31

no its not just you! pisses me off too!

JaysMum Tue 01-Feb-05 17:11:43

That gets to me even more than......

A good smack would sort him out

The next time someone says that to me I'll be the one with the GBH charge!!!

heartinthecountry Tue 01-Feb-05 21:19:21

Hee hee - I'm with you Fio. The other one I love is "they grow up so fast don't they?" oh and from one of my friends this morning "it is just amazing how quickly they learn everything isn't it?"

Uh - no, actually.

JakB Tue 01-Feb-05 21:58:05

exactly, HITC...
And, 'they all catch up in the end'...
(used to get this... now I get, 'she's not as bad as I thought she would be!!!??????').

misdee Tue 01-Feb-05 21:59:56

i hate 'have you been drinking' comments dd2 gets, and she apparently doesnt have SN. argh!!

Jimjams Tue 01-Feb-05 22:27:21

my favourite is 'it gets easier as they get older'
no it f**** doesn't.

Jimjams Tue 01-Feb-05 22:29:11

I used to get 'they all get there in the end" jakb- errr still waiting! ROFL at "it's amazing how quickly they learn" HITC.

oooh this is therapeutic- just thought of another: "once he sees the other children doing it he'll copy them" WTF? No he won't!

coppertop Tue 01-Feb-05 22:30:49

LOL at you lot!

milge Tue 01-Feb-05 22:33:06

I'm a big fan(not) of "she'll do itin her own time", "they all catch up in the end" or "she'll have caught up by the time she's 2/3/4/ interchangeable number"
Try having all that, along with stupid comments re twins "double trouble" "you've got your hands full" etc. AAAARgh.

Swilt Tue 01-Feb-05 22:33:38

OOOOOh, I cringe with the memory of most of those said to me.

coppertop Tue 01-Feb-05 22:36:13

Don't forget "Well Einstein didn't talk until he was 3." Arrrggghhh!

Jimjams Tue 01-Feb-05 22:38:24

Thank the Lord people have stopped telling me the age that Einstein talked (DS1 is way past that now anyway- wow he must be super brainy). In the end I took to growling at them "yeah and Einstein was autistic...."

Oh and I'd forgotton the "he'll have cauught up by the time he's....." milge.

Thanks Fio- I love this thread

Merlot Tue 01-Feb-05 22:39:48

my bugbear is, `there cant be much wrong with him, he looks so normal' (whatever normal is!!!)

Merlot Tue 01-Feb-05 22:41:18

oh also, `well at least he's smiley!'

Swilt Tue 01-Feb-05 22:41:38

So when did Einstein talk

coppertop Tue 01-Feb-05 22:45:41

After hearing me complain about ds2 throwing furniture at me....."But he looks like such an angel." Arrrrrgggghhhh again!

milge Tue 01-Feb-05 22:47:58

LOL merlot, i've had " well, she seems happy enough" yeah, that's cos she spent the last 4 hours lying on the floor screaming with her hands over her eyes, and now she's asleep and its 10pm!!!

Socci Tue 01-Feb-05 22:49:49

Message withdrawn

Merlot Tue 01-Feb-05 22:51:31

GP said it to me too - must be part of the patter!

Socci Tue 01-Feb-05 22:54:11

Message withdrawn

unicorn Tue 01-Feb-05 22:54:53

don't know if I can join in here but I have 2 very, ahem, 'challenging' children...

and I often get... ' why is xxx screaming?'
(answer - because that is what he does)..

'Can't you stop him/her??'
(er no I just love to listen to it!)

and...

'oh your 2 are real characters aren't they'!????!!!

(ie -'thank god I don't have to look after them')

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Saker Tue 01-Feb-05 22:56:10

It's not just Einstein either, people have always got some distant relative who is now a successful professor of... who didn't speak until 3/4/5y then one day miraculously produced full sentences.

coppertop Tue 01-Feb-05 22:58:33

And "Perhaps if you just talked to him more/less he might learn how to speak."

Gwenick Tue 01-Feb-05 22:59:06

I'm fortunate (not really quite the right word - but I hope you know what I mean) that neither of my 2 children appear to have any SN - but it drives ME up the wall when people make comments like that (one of mine was a later talker too) - I can't even begin to imagine how frustrating it must for you mum's with SN kids!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: