Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Came across this book on understanding metaphors

(7 Posts)
Saker Wed 26-Jan-05 20:04:20

Didn't know if people had seen it or if it might be useful for older kids with AS?
"What Did You Say? What Do You Mean?: An Illustrated Guide to Understanding Metaphors"

onlyjoking Wed 26-Jan-05 20:15:53

yep i have this book and its great for me to read to make myself more aware of the things people say, my sons teacher today said that DS had " worked his socks off" i saw him check his socks were still there

heartinthecountry Wed 26-Jan-05 21:12:35

LOL at the socks Onlyjoking

coppertop Wed 26-Jan-05 21:18:28

LOL at the sock-checking!

I think I'll need that book (or something similar) when ds1 gets a little older. He takes everything very literally. I commented on him having his nose buried in a book and he was in hysterics. When he dragged a heavy bottle of juice into the room I asked him "Is that a hint?" He laughed and said "Don't be silly, mummy. It's a bottle!"

JaysMum Thu 27-Jan-05 00:34:01

The book is excellent and has helped us loads with expaining metaphors to J.
It's quite interesting reading where the sayings originated from also.

Blossomhill Thu 27-Jan-05 07:37:04

I can remember about a year ago when dd wasbeing her hyper little self. Dh said "Oh ** you are full of beans tonight". What did dd do??? Go to the mirror, opened her mouth and looking puzzled said "No I am not!!!"
Must say we ill never forget that one!

happymerryberries Thu 27-Jan-05 07:39:04

Thanks for that link, I'll look it up. I once worked with another teacher who said to a child with asd....'I'f I had a pound for every time I have been asked that, I wouldn't need to work' The boy thought for a bit and said, 'But who would have paid you , miss?'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now