Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Autism / Aspergers on Jeremy Vine BBCR2 today

(33 Posts)
ThomCat Mon 24-Jan-05 11:36:39

Title say's it all, Jeremy Vine this afternoon on BBC Radio 2, whole discussion on what it's like for parents etc.

Cadbury Mon 24-Jan-05 11:37:41

I had just rushed through to the pc to post the same thing

onlyjoking Mon 24-Jan-05 11:44:42

what time is it on?

ThomCat Mon 24-Jan-05 11:51:35

midday until 2pm.

ThomCat Mon 24-Jan-05 12:12:11

He's urging parents to call in.
Will be in health section of show.
Talking about immigration at the mo.

ThomCat Mon 24-Jan-05 13:06:56

BUMP, it's the next discussion so tune in now if you can.

coppertop Mon 24-Jan-05 13:12:04

Trying to listen to it but ds2 is having a tantrum and it's hard to hear over the screams!

coppertop Mon 24-Jan-05 13:14:22

Nooooooooo! The doctor has just said that Rainman was a marvellous film!!! Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh!

galaxy Mon 24-Jan-05 13:17:40

The poor woman on now

coppertop Mon 24-Jan-05 13:29:01

Jacqui Jackson is now talking.

coppertop Mon 24-Jan-05 13:30:38

And now Luke!

galaxy Mon 24-Jan-05 13:33:36

What a great lad.

Jimjams Mon 24-Jan-05 13:53:02

Felt rather sorry for the poor woman who had to have a nervous breakdwon before SS provided any respite. And rather liked Charlotte Moor's response that if you waited for professionals to help you'd be waiting for ever so you may as well do it yourself....

The only thing I'd say is that it focused on AS and didn't really say anything about severe autism.

Also the dr woman seemed to think that Jacqui copes well because Luke is so high functioning - Luke has serious problems coping with day to day life and Ben (her youngest) is pretty severe and has cp.

coppertop Mon 24-Jan-05 13:59:19

I got the impression that the doctor thought that the only problems that Aspies had was with routine and social skills. I thought JV was a bit insensitive when he made the comment about Jacqui coping well with 4 whereas the first caller needed psychiatric help to manage with one child with an ASD. I bet that was like a kick in the teeth for the first poor woman.

I agree. My favourite comment was Charlotte Moore saying that parents had to get on with it themselves because they'd be waiting forever for a professional to help. I also really felt for the mother of the 4yr-old who was told to leave it for another 6 months. FFS!

onlyjoking Mon 24-Jan-05 14:12:51

oh damn, i missed it, is it online anywhere ? jacqui jackson does a great job, luke is a great speaker/writer but he really struggles with other stuff, jacqui is always very positive and people think she copes really well and her kids are easy....they ain't

Tinker Mon 24-Jan-05 14:15:24

Here you go

JakB Mon 24-Jan-05 14:25:30

Yeah, I got the impression that it was very much a 'brush stroke' programme and that nobody really got it. Wanted lots more Charlotte Moore. Agree that JV seemed to be making the point that Jacqui Moore was effortlessly coping with four autistic boys whilst other mothers 'ended up on a psychiatric ward' with just one! Hello? And it's of an extreme example IMO

Jimjams Mon 24-Jan-05 14:30:18

very true onlyjoking- and jaqui copes with an amount of sleep that would have me sectioned somewhere.

onlyjoking Mon 24-Jan-05 14:35:29

thanks for that link, i have just had a look on the discussion board, i had to step away from my keyboard, some people have no idea at all

Jimjams Mon 24-Jan-05 14:42:20

I was just trying to formulate a reply on the message board onlyjoking- it won't let me post- possibly luckily.

yoyo Mon 24-Jan-05 14:42:42

JV seemed rather ignorant of the whole topic and I didn't find the doctor informative either. I feel my understanding has increased enormously as a result of reading the various threads on mumsnet. He would have done well to take a look at your postings as part of his research.

onlyjoking Mon 24-Jan-05 14:46:23

funny that jimjams, as i couldnt post, mind you the steam coming out of my eyes would make being near electrical appliances dodgy anyway

coppertop Mon 24-Jan-05 14:49:34

Just had a look at the message board and OMG! I did LOL though at the person who said that "Sacha Baron-Cohen" wrote a book about autism. That's the Ali-G bloke isn't it??? Presumably they meant Simon.

A little further down someone complained about "illiterit" children. <snort>

JakB Mon 24-Jan-05 15:03:39

just looked at the messageboard!
"We appear to live in a society where if there is something to have, then we must have it and suffer from it.
Fresh air, lots of exercise, good food, no E numbers, no manufactured foods, no big macs, no air fresheners, will probably solve many of today's problems.

We used to call it commonsense"

LOL!!!!!!
No big macs? Ah, it is because I have put dd in large raincoats that she is autistic

coppertop Mon 24-Jan-05 15:25:50

PMSL at big raincoats!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now