Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Children who dont feel pain

(11 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Mon 24-Jan-05 11:08:54

on tv now little boy who doesnt feel pain

RTKangaMummy Mon 24-Jan-05 11:10:57

does anybody know anyone with this?

They want to meet others will same condition

ThomCat Mon 24-Jan-05 11:14:45

At work so can';t tune in. It's asaid that children with DS can have a high pain threshold. Not sure if there's anything in it. I do know that it takes a lot for Lottie to cry. She was trying to get away from the dreaded hairbrush this morning and banged her had, enough to mark her forehead, the bottom lip came out and she reached up her arms but no tears.
I'm not for a second saying she would compare to the child on this programme or saying that she doesn't feel pain, she does, but just that she doesn't cry easily when she knocks herself.

RTKangaMummy Mon 24-Jan-05 11:18:02

He is 18 months I think

and has no idea of pain

the nerves all work but for some reason in his brain it doesnt register

Have heard that before about DS.

poor lottie bump

Dingle Mon 24-Jan-05 11:21:11

Last year I noticed that dd's fingernail was completely hanging off! If it had been my ds then I am sure he would have cried merry hell to let me know that he had hurt his finger. DD on the other hand didn't let it bother her one little bit, and I just couldn't imagine her hurting her finger so badly that her nail would fall off without letting me know!

RTKangaMummy Mon 24-Jan-05 11:32:52

They said the prob is that he may have something like tonsillitus or apendictitis or something really painful and wont feel it.

They are going to take out his lower teeth because he bites through his tongue when in the car

mum said she sees in mirror blood flowing from mouth and he has bitten through tongue

I think they said he doesnt know danger either

onlyjoking Mon 24-Jan-05 11:34:25

my son has fallen backwards off dining chair banged his head on wooden floor got up and just carried on eating no tears or anything, mind you he did used to headbang the floor so probably used to it, he also punches himself on the head if he is cross, he has autism, one of my twin girls if she banged her head on something would then go and do it again on purpose, again no tears, she has autism too, i know lots of kids with asd who dont feel pian

jabberwocky Mon 24-Jan-05 11:38:46

When ds was really small I actually wondered about him having this as he didn't seem to be bothered by little bumps, etc. I'm pretty sure it is a genetic disorder and has really serious implications.

JaysMum Mon 24-Jan-05 11:39:48

When J was three he slipped off a stool and bit his tongue in half, no tears.
At 4 he got knocked over again no tears but a broken leg.
Broken left Radius at 7 and broken right arm at 8, agin no tears but laughter because his arm was bent!!
Amputated the tip of his right index finger by getting it stuck in the chain and sprocket on his bike....cried because his bike got dirty with blood!!!

If Jack hurts himself badly he doesnt feel pain BUT he falls asleep very quickly afterwards. The sleep is so deep that on our various and many trips to casualty (to have bits stitched back together) he has not required any aneasthetic.

The Paed at the hospital has told us that this is common with Aspergers children and the sleeping is caused by the bodies own natural sytem to shut down and protect itself.

I really worry incase J hurts himself internally and we can't see that there is a problem. Obviously we can see swollen and disjonted limbs but my biggest fear is if he gets something like apendicitus and doesnt feel the pain.

J's many accidents are caused by his lack of spatial awareness....not me beating him with a big stick!!!

RTKangaMummy Mon 24-Jan-05 11:41:14

Yes they said it was genetic

as they had got a little baby girl who didnt have it

charlie95 Tue 25-Jan-05 22:53:05

our ds had 2 brain ops when tiny. it was awful to see him connected up to machines striaght after op and having loads of medication pumped into his system - but the neurosurgeon actually said something along the lines of "....hes not in any pain.....". we thought this was ridiculously crazy - ds is bound to be after such an op. as it turns out more recently, we read in a paper somewhere, something about neurosurgery and apparently they reckon when operating on the brain, one cannot feel pain / it is not painful for a person.

ds stood in the hallway the other day with his hand on hot radiator and kept it there - wouldnt take hand off when i asked him too. to me i would have pulled away quickly. dont think its related to ops he had. probably simply not listening to mummy! he generally does feel pain anyway - cries when falls or hurts.

interesting story though RTKM. missed it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now