Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Should I send dd to beavers???

(14 Posts)
Blossomhill Thu 20-Jan-05 21:05:09

Ds is starting Beavers next week, he's only been on the waiting list for over a year (a mix up apparently).
Whilst talking to the leader (who was lovely) I mentioned about dd and the possibility of her going. I explained about all of her difficulties and that I felt she would really enjoy and benefit from going. She said that all children are welcome and that I should let her try it out. If necessary one of the helpers would sit with her for the whole hour.
She will be 6 in August! I have got her name day but to be honest feel quite scared about the whole thing. Anyone else have advice or experience of this? I just feel that dd shouldn't miss out again and know she'd benefit from it!

Blossomhill Thu 20-Jan-05 22:40:04

bump

jessicasmummy Thu 20-Jan-05 22:41:40

Go for it... it cant hurt to try. If DD doesnt like it, she hasnt got to go again!

Blossomhill Thu 20-Jan-05 22:45:25

That's true jessicasmum. It's just because she has sn I am not sure how she will be.

coppertop Thu 20-Jan-05 22:48:30

No experience but I think I'd let her try it. It sounds as though she'll have some support if needed.

jessicasmummy Thu 20-Jan-05 22:49:45

Maybe a mainstream activity will be good for her, but dont force her. Take her for the first session and see how she gets on and let us know... i'd be interested! Good luck xxx

lockets Thu 20-Jan-05 22:50:19

Message withdrawn

lockets Thu 20-Jan-05 22:51:32

Message withdrawn

tigermoth Thu 20-Jan-05 22:57:16

yes, cubs can be mixed.
good luck, blossomhill. IMO the success and character of a group depends quite a bit on the leader. Yours sounds lovely, so hope it works out.

Blossomhill Thu 20-Jan-05 22:57:35

Thanks Jessicasmum {smile] xxx
Yes it is mixed but girls can do rainbows as well. very confusing!

Blossomhill Thu 20-Jan-05 22:58:45

Thanks lockets xxx. I am starting to feel that why shouldn't dd do things that other children do. She is definitely more than capable. I just worry, worry, worry!!!

lockets Thu 20-Jan-05 22:59:04

Message withdrawn

Blossomhill Thu 20-Jan-05 23:26:52

Lockets - she should start August/September time. Ds starts next week but as there is only 19 months between them they tend to do thing a year apart!

jmb1964 Fri 21-Jan-05 23:12:27

I think it all depends on the individual leaders. Our ds1 who has Aspergers, goes to Beavers and loves it, but there aren't any girls, and it's all very noisy and boisterous. Always makes me feel better because ds1 is only one of the noisy wild ones in this setting, whereas he can stand out like a sore thumb at school..
But why not give it a go - might be nice for your two to be together, and easier for you too than starting your dd at Rainbows?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: