Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Has anyone successfully taken on LEA/transport and won??

(9 Posts)
delllie Wed 28-May-08 16:27:53

DD (6) started new school last September. We hated the local special needs school, which has a terrible reputation and after visiting it twice can see totally why. So we elected to send her to the next nearest which is a wonderful school and is in total just another 4 miles further. Of course we were refused transport as DD wouldn't be 'attending the nearest appropriate school' even though I listed the reasons I didn't like the nearest school which were a big deal as I didn't think they would be able to cope with DD particular problems but all to no avail.

We certainly didn't realise the enormity of taking DD to this school, it is financially killing us, our business has recently gone tits up and with all the recent price hikes in petrol we are not sure how much longer we can do this. I did write to the LEA asking/begging for some help, even just the petrol allowance as if she was attending the local school, but they just keep coming back with the crap "because she doesnt attend the nearest appropriate school" bugger off basically angry. I really don't know which way to turn as we just can't afford to do it any more, but desperately don't want to send her to the local school either.

Apparently the local LEA have changed their policies or whatever as I have been advised by the local Parents Partnership, which would make it virtualy impossible to win over them. hmm

Has anyone been in this situation and actually got anywhere??

TIA

sarah293 Wed 28-May-08 16:33:16

Message withdrawn

LollipopViolet Sun 03-Aug-08 17:40:09

Sorry to bring up an old topic but my friend with CP is having the same problem. They've told her she's got to go to a college closer than the one she wants. BUT, they provided transport to a school which was further away for *thirteen years* and the college is closer.

I live really close to her, went to the college she wants to go to, have less of a disability (VI) and they gave me transport for 2 years.

Any advice for her?

moondog Sun 03-Aug-08 17:42:11

Have a look at IPSEA website. They have about 10 important test caseslisted and one is about transport. Could be useful.

sarah293 Sun 03-Aug-08 18:43:24

Message withdrawn

Graciefer Mon 04-Aug-08 12:46:59

Have you talked to the school/headteacher?

A slightly different scenerio, but when looking at the two special schools in the city for DS1, we decided on the closest one to us, as it seemed much better suited for DS1.

We were told that transport would not be provided because we didn't live more than 3 miles from the school (it is actually 2.7 miles away).

We contacted the transport department, asking them to reconsider, but they were adament this was the rules.

We pretty much give up on school transport, but happened to mention it to the then head (who was an amazing man, but has since retired), he said that he would look into it.

That afternoon we had a telephone call for the transport office, to confirm pick up/drop off times.

We were most shocked, but it seemed the headteacher had some sway in these decisions, so it may be worth enquiring with your school also.

Only trouble for me, is that I keep expecting a letter each year, saying that DS1's case has been stopped after review, as I am unsure of the current headteachers position on this.

Best of luck though.

GentleOtter Mon 04-Aug-08 14:28:55

We have our appeal on Wednesday and I am totally terrified. If the board refuse then under Scottish law we can appeal to a sheriff but cannot then appeal for a full year after that.
Home ed for special needs (plus a new baby) and no help from anyone. So much rests on this appeal.

I've been posting under Special Educational Needs till someone guided me to here.

Geri2 Wed 06-Aug-08 10:28:15

Hiya
I was told by my SW that if we went to tribrunal for the school placement we wanted for our daughter, we would NOT get transport. As it happens the LEA backed out before it got to that stage.

My advice would be to get in touch with your local MP.

Realize you may not see this as appeal is today, hopefuly you win and it won't come to contacting the MP but just thought I'd let you know just in case!

good luck
x

Geri2 Sat 09-Aug-08 21:49:40

How did it go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now