Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

my mum in the Daily Mail

(36 Posts)
ThomCat Tue 18-Jan-05 14:52:59

I haven't seen the article in question but it was about a little boy with Down's syndrome being banned from his local swimming pool and his mothers successful fight to overturn this decision.

In response to the article that the Daily Mail ran on this my mum wrote in to them with the following letter.

They are now going over to my mums tomorrow to take a picture of her and Lottie to run with it as their lead letter!

MY MUMS LETTER:

Daily Mail letters page

Your article (14/1/05) about the little boy with Down’s syndrome being refused swimming lessons by the Trust that runs Hoyland swimming pool for Barnsley Council, has left me feeling furious.
Does the Trust responsible for the pool, or Barnsley Council for that matter, know what Down’s syndrome means? Do they think children with this genetic condition have two heads, that the children are uncontrollable, that they are all disruptive and have behavioural difficulties? They are acting with sheer ignorance. Down’s syndrome occurs because of one extra chromosome. That is all. With it comes a degree of learning difficulty, the children are a little behind their peers in their development. But they catch up eventually and are wonderful members of our society. Oh, and by the way, they learn to swim the same as other children!
Lots of children without Down’s have behavioural problems; some children with Attention Deficit Disorder, for example, can be disruptive. In these circumstances, understandably, the situation would need to be reviewed.
But please, all you officials out there who have the power to make the decisions such as those who have treated little Samuel Doran so unfairly – get educated. Don’t jump to the conclusion that because a child has Down’s syndrome, or any other specail needs, that child will “be a risk”. Judge childen on their merits, not on their looks, please.
And I'm qualified to say these things. My 3 year old granddaughter, Charlotte, has Down’s syndrome. Yes, she’s behind with walking and speech – but she’s ahead of her peers with her social skills and her concentration span. She’s an asset to her mainstream pre-school – all she needs is a little more help with some aspects of her life.
Congratulations and good luck to Elaine, Samuel’s mum – there are lots of people who support and admire you for standing up for your son’s rights.

Gobbledigook Tue 18-Jan-05 14:55:25

Bloody fantastic letter TC.

NameChangingMancMidlander Tue 18-Jan-05 14:55:37

BRILLIANT !

amynnixmum Tue 18-Jan-05 14:56:43

jangly Tue 18-Jan-05 14:58:31

Well done your Mum Thomcat!! Really good letter!

Hulababy Tue 18-Jan-05 15:01:23

This story about the little boy was on our local evening news. Both DH and I were really annoyed witht he local council's decision on this. Made me so mad! Good on your mum!

Frizbe Tue 18-Jan-05 15:03:04

well done thomcats mum!

FineFigureFio Tue 18-Jan-05 15:03:24

well done to your mum

the article only highlights a small proportion. Mopst places wont change their minds and alot of mums would be distraught but nopt strong enough to fight. it is a much bigger problem

JanH Tue 18-Jan-05 15:08:50

Oh TC, she is a cracker, you must be almost as proud of her as you are of Lottie!

Fio, has this happened to you?

chonky Tue 18-Jan-05 15:15:45

Well done TC's mum - what a great letter. My nan had told me about the article and how completely shocked she was, as was I when she told me.

Potty1 Tue 18-Jan-05 15:23:58

Well Done Nana TC

nasa Tue 18-Jan-05 15:25:20

go charlotte's granny!

lou33 Tue 18-Jan-05 15:30:27

well done that woman

Marina Tue 18-Jan-05 15:34:26

Well done Lottie's grandma! Something worthwhile to read in the Mail for a change! Just rather about the necessity for your mum to write and complain in the first place

Hausfrau Tue 18-Jan-05 15:42:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gingerbear Tue 18-Jan-05 15:45:08

I saw this reported on the local evening news too. The leisure Centre claimed that it was against National guidelines for parents to enter the pool (as Mrs Doran would have to ) to assist in lessons, and that 'expensive modifications' would have to be made to the pool!!!
Good on your mum TC!

Yorkshire Post article

SoupDragon Tue 18-Jan-05 15:46:24

I knew this thread would be one of yours TC.

Go TC's mum!! <<whoops in an Oprah/Jerry Springer fashion>>

edam Tue 18-Jan-05 15:49:28

applause!

ThomCat Tue 18-Jan-05 16:03:53

I'll show my mum this thead and she'll be chuffed. LOL Soupdragon, yes it is getting a bit like that isn't it. Like mother like daughter, God help Lottie

BadHair Tue 18-Jan-05 16:28:19

Well done to your mum, she sounds great. My mum would have just tut-tutted about it being unfair then gone back to watching coronation street.

Socci Tue 18-Jan-05 17:39:33

Message withdrawn

JakB Tue 18-Jan-05 19:34:25

That is absolutely, unbelievably shocking! Go TC's mum!!!! I can see where you get your amazing spirit from, TC
ps It's amazing how totally ignorant people are. My DD's therapist rang up a stables to arrange a horserising lesson for DD and they said, 'Oh I don't know about that, if she's autistic will she shout and scream and scare the horses?!!!'.
Erm?
Anyway, we found a lovely stables, DD loved it (stood up a few times, but heh!) and the stable owner teaches a 30-year-old autistic man to ride and he can now canter, trot and jump!!!

Merlot Tue 18-Jan-05 20:25:43

How terribly terribly ignorant of these people .

3 cheers for Lottie's granny and 3 cheers for Sam's mum for fighting his corner!

Jimjams Tue 18-Jan-05 20:33:53

Must be horsery types jakb. I met someone who rang to arrange lessons for her ASD son- the owner said "is he fat? they're all fat so the horses can't coope with them!"

pixiefish Tue 18-Jan-05 20:47:36

well done lottie's gran xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now