Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Thomcat in mother and baby MAG?

(9 Posts)
pickledonion Fri 14-Jan-05 15:28:31

Thomcat is that you in the mother and baby mag - the article on antenatal testing???

Socci Fri 14-Jan-05 18:20:14

Message withdrawn

ThomCat Fri 14-Jan-05 19:37:51

GMYV never ended up happening to my huge personal relief but errrr..... yes that might be me in M&B. Something the DSA asked me to do for them, but didn't come out quite as we hoped. I'm not against testing as such, just against the way it's used to test for the 'oh so terrible DS! Anyway it is what it is and if 1 person thinks differently about DS and testing because of it then that's wonderful.

Socci Fri 14-Jan-05 19:51:54

Message withdrawn

pickledonion Fri 14-Jan-05 20:54:11

and i quote

"I loved being pregnant. My blood tests indicated that i was a low-risk for Down's syndrome, so i didn't push for further tests.
When i saw Lottie i knew instantly that she had Down's syndrome. The paediatrician confirmed it and i had a few tears of grief for the child i thought i was having - but i loved Lottie from thre start. I've never regretted not having antenatal tests. I'd have spent my pregnancey worrying, wasting time researching everything that might go wrong.

There would have been no question of ending the pregnancey - I bonded with Lottie as soon as i felt her move inside me.

Three years on, life with Lottie is fantastic. She charms the pants off everyone she meets. We get amazing support from the Down's syndrome Association and Portage, a home based teaching programme for children with extra needs.

It's terrible that women are pushed into having a termination if the baby has abnormalities.
Doctors tend to present the worst-case scenario,where the child will never walk,talk or live independently.

If only everyone who was worried about having special needs child could meet Lottie"

My life is so much richer with her.

JakB Sat 15-Jan-05 08:34:07

Ah! Have to get it. Which mag?

Hausfrau Sat 15-Jan-05 09:33:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pickledonion Sat 15-Jan-05 09:36:40

It in the new mother and baby mag - it's got a free changing mat with it if that helps

JakB Sat 15-Jan-05 09:41:03

Thanks pickledonion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now