Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

good SALT book ?

(8 Posts)
chonky Fri 14-Jan-05 09:35:01

Can anyone recommend a good SALT book please? My dd is nine months old and has gdd. She's vocalising a lot, and really trying to communicate, but is a far way off babbling. We're supposed to be seeing a SALT sometime this term for some input (no idea of dates), but I'm keen to get cracking on with helping her.

mum38 Fri 14-Jan-05 13:38:12

hi! I like Sally Wards Babytalk -it is play based and breaks down all the different stages so you can start where your child is at the moment. We bought it from Amazon when ds was 4 but started at the 18-24 month section which was where his speech was at. It's not specifically for SN but I like the gentle approach. My ds had a diagnosis of global dd until he was about 3 -he now has a diagnosis of speech & language impairment with some fine motor and gross motor delays.

chonky Fri 14-Jan-05 17:26:20

Thanks mum38 - will give that a go (like the idea of a gentle approach).
It's nice to hear that you've got a clearer picture for your ds now that he's older - GDD is such an umbrella term unfortunately and doesn't give you much of an idea as to where your child's strengths lie. I'm hoping that as dd gets older it will get more obvious as to where we can help her most.

mum38 Fri 14-Jan-05 19:40:38

hi again we found the gdd really difficult - would see the paed every nine months and it would vary from mild to moderate gdd and back again. Now he is older it is clearer where he needs the help and where his strengths lie. We adopted ds as a toddler -I so wish we had him earlier!! I'm sure the earlier the intervention the better. Would love to hear more about your dd if you get the time.

mizmiz Sun 16-Jan-05 22:26:00

Just want to endorse 'Baby Talk.' Sally Ward is very highly thought of in the salt field (had her for one of my course modules actually!). Should say 'was'. Sadly she died last year.

chonky Mon 17-Jan-05 07:45:00

Thanks mizmiz. to hear about Sally Ward.

Mum38, at the moment we don't really have a clearer pic for dd other than she has a moderate to severe visual impairment and low muscle tone (& high tone in her arms). We're just having to play the proverbial waiting game to see how she does

mum38 Mon 17-Jan-05 09:47:59

chonky -thanks for sharing about your dd. With our ds2 up to about 3 the paed. was following a "wait and see " approach. Then at 3 we finally got referred to SALT and OT. It is frustrating to say the least. Sounds like you are more together than we were!! It sounds really mad but for a long time we were in complete denial as to the extent of ds2 problems. Having said that the therapy he has had has really helped him. Hope you like the book!

mizmiz- can't believe Sally Ward is dead-she didn't sound old in the book.

mizmiz Mon 17-Jan-05 10:03:45

She wasn't mum38. Late 40s/early 50s. It was cancer I think.
Very sad. Great loss

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: