Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

So, tell me about McLaren buggys then

(21 Posts)
ThomCat Thu 13-Jan-05 22:41:51

Do you think we should get one for the bum shuffling 3 yr old Lotbags?
What are they like, where are they from, why will it knock spots off my mama's & pappa's and how much will it cost us.

pickledonion Thu 13-Jan-05 22:44:44

does lottie have a physio??

I know our physio is looking into one for dd you don't have to pay i don't think- although as shallow as it sounds i prefer my normal maclaren at the mo and am trying to get as much as possible use out of it.

sorry not much help

ThomCat Thu 13-Jan-05 22:46:36

She does have a physio yes, we're seeing her tomorrow as it happens. You don't have to pay??????????? Tell me more, this is news to me.

pickledonion Thu 13-Jan-05 22:47:54

the impression i got from our physio (could be wrong) was that because dd recieve's DLA and is off three and had limited mobilty she is entitled to it through the NHS

pickledonion Thu 13-Jan-05 22:48:15

sorry is over three yrs old

Blossomhill Thu 13-Jan-05 22:50:30

I am sure you don't have to pay for them Thomcat. I think social services sort it all out. Possibly the children's with disabilities team.
I think that the good thing about them is that they are designed for children up to about 10 and are very spacious and comfortable. Probably easier for you to push too. I'll try and find one for you.
Dd doesn't have one but I have friends whose children do.
Found this link for you here

sparklymieow Thu 13-Jan-05 22:52:38

I go DS and Dd1s through the wheelchair clinic, you have to ask your physio to refer you!

ThomCat Thu 13-Jan-05 22:53:33

Well blow me down with a feather, I never knew that. So, how do I go about getting one? Will physio be able to get the ball rolling, what shall I do first?

ThomCat Thu 13-Jan-05 22:53:35

Well blow me down with a feather, I never knew that. So, how do I go about getting one? Will physio be able to get the ball rolling, what shall I do first?

ThomCat Thu 13-Jan-05 22:54:29

Right, thanks for that, will speak to her about it at tomorrow's appt.
Blimey, you find out the maddest things by accident.

sparklymieow Thu 13-Jan-05 22:54:49

see my message TC

Dingle Thu 13-Jan-05 22:55:13

Had a bit of trouble with getting a referral for dd. Physio seemed really reluctant.
I pushed to get dd one simply because she is just too tall for most standard buggys. She is the average height of a 5 yr old girl with DS!!She keeps on dragging her feet on the wheels and it won't be too long before she reaches the floor. Already had a wheel fall off our last buggy and I simply couldn't face being without one now we are backwards and forwards to nursery every day.
We eventually got a referral via the Learning Disabilities Team.

Blossomhill Thu 13-Jan-05 22:55:36

Surely someone should have told you tc!

sparklymieow Thu 13-Jan-05 22:57:48

We had no problem getting the buggies or Ds' wheelchair, physio just phoned up and made an appointmnet for me

Dingle Thu 13-Jan-05 22:59:09

No- you don't have to pay, but basically you get what you see. No hood, raincover...I think they do a chest pad thing, That would be worth getting for dd, alias Houdini!
Initially I asked the Learning Disabled Team, who completed the form and sent it on to the Disablemnt team, wheelchair clinic.
They cost about £200 to buy!

ThomCat Thu 13-Jan-05 22:59:43

Well who tells you these things? Other than mumsnet? No, I had no idea, just heard you girls talk about them and knew they were a spcial kind of buggy for older kids not yet walking and wanted to know more as need a new buggy. No idea they could be provided.

ThomCat Thu 13-Jan-05 23:01:29

So my physio, who is just about to leave, if not already, will refer me and it'll all fall into place from there right?

Is there anyone else I can ask about this incase my physio has already left and I'm not assigned a new one for a while.

Dingle Thu 13-Jan-05 23:05:05

TC, I let my emotions go about these matters to the poor man who assessed dd at the wheelchair clinic, "am I the only mum in Kent who's child has DS?"
I actually found out because I asked another mum at the school about hers and she mentioned the Wheelchair clinic. I had to track down the system from there.
I have also been asking for a referral to an OT since last summer. Phoned up today, and they hadn't even got dd down on their records, so I referred her myself!

Blossomhill Thu 13-Jan-05 23:20:07

Speak to your HV.

JakB Fri 14-Jan-05 07:39:55

Yep, my HV sorted it out. Was referred to wheelchair services and the appointment took about a month to come through. Good luck!

ThomCat Fri 14-Jan-05 19:46:38

Saw OT and physio today and they are putting me on the waiting list for the buggy clinic.

They looked slightly surprised when I bought it up, the same as they did when I mentioned Peidro boots, but said yes of course instantly.

It's like it's a big secret and they can't believe I found out! The didn't reckon with mumsnet did they girls!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now