Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ds2 having a MRI Brain Scan under GA next week...

(49 Posts)
Merlot Sun 09-Jan-05 15:06:36

...what can I expect? Anyone else been through it? We have to be at the hospital at 8.30am (St.George's Tooting) and that is about all I know (no food after midnight the night before and no drink after 6am (nightmare!!))

Grateful for anything anyone can add.

Many Thanks

Merlot Sun 09-Jan-05 15:07:36

should add, for any of you that dont know, he is only 16 months.

brooke Sun 09-Jan-05 15:07:41

dd had one nearly 18months ago and i like you was very nervous about it all.

is he being sedated (sp?) to have the scan??

Heathcliffscathy Sun 09-Jan-05 15:08:42

oh merlot. no advice, just my thoughts going out to you and ds...

Merlot Sun 09-Jan-05 15:11:33

Yes, Brooke he is having a general anaesthetic. More nervous about that than anything else.

Wondering what the recovery period is like for a little one?

And thanks Sohable, appreciate your kind thoughts.

galaxy Sun 09-Jan-05 15:12:52

NO experience but sending hugs xx

RTKangaMummy Sun 09-Jan-05 15:15:35

Don't know anything about them, sorry

but wanted to send you and your DS cyberhugs


milge Sun 09-Jan-05 15:18:25

Hi Merlot, my dd had an MRI done under GA similarly in May 04, when she was 19 months. They were looking for brain abnormalities to explain her physical and mental delay. It sounds absolutely terrifying, but in reality is fine.- The worst bit is after discharge, when you are waiting for results. I woke dd at 11.30pm to see if she would take some cereal/milk to see her through, and similarly gave her a big drink just before the cut off time ( ours was 7am). Take lots of toys/familiar things in with you, i took dd's grobag, so when she is sleepy afterwards, she will have a reassuring thing around her. Also take some of her favourite foods/drinks in, so she is not faced with eating awful hospital food at a set time. DD sailed through, although I was a nervous wreck. I would recommend seeing if you can get to talk to an aneasthatist at the hospital beforehand - maybe your GP can help if you have no personal contacts. It did prepare me for ds having a GA too in Sept, i was less hysterical! We were reluctant to have the scan, but it seemed to be the cure all, and we were at a dead end, so went through with it. It was normal, and now the medics are looking to genetic testing to provide the answers, which i'm betting it won't. Good luck to you, much more than to your ds, who will take it all in his stride.

Merlot Sun 09-Jan-05 15:23:19

Thanks Milge - really useful . Ds2 uses a grobag, so will definitely pack that and similarly I will wake him for a big drink just before 6am.

Sounds like we're going down a similar line. Think I posted on one of your other threads maybe?

We've got the genetic testing thing lined up too

brooke Sun 09-Jan-05 15:28:10

rember that what ever clothes they have on for the scan can't have an metal on them at all - no popper etc.

dd's appointment was at 2 in the afternoon yet she still wasn't allowed food or drink the same as your ds -

dd was sedated with a medicine and she fell asleep in my arms which was upsetting but ok for her - she was then put on the trolley and cause of the location of the children hospital she had to be transferd to another hospital in an ambulance.

the scan only lasted about 30 mins and i got to stay in the room were they did the MRI scan we were then transfered back to the childrens hospital dd woke up 20 mins laters - an hour later we were in the car on the way home dd wasn't even groggy.

I was the one who was groogy from worrying.

We're in the final stages of genetic testing at the mo so also know that feeling as well.

good luck xxx

Merlot Sun 09-Jan-05 15:39:58

Thanks Brooke . Good tip about the metal poppers. I'll pack a tshirt that he can wear with a Nappy. Your poor dd, having to go all that time without food or drink. Think that's going to be the worst bit for ds.

Sorry to hear that you are on the genetic testing treadmill too. Lots of love and luck to you, and to Milge too.

lou33 Sun 09-Jan-05 16:37:01

i've done it with dd1 and ds2, email me if you want.

Merlot Sun 09-Jan-05 16:56:30

Thanks Lou and lovely to see you back .

Think Milge and Brooke have probably covered it actually, just need to keep my nerves in check now.

charlie95 Sun 09-Jan-05 20:06:55

ds, now aged 4, has had 4 or 5 mri scans on brain in his first 1.5 yr of life all under general anaesthetic - each time lasting one hour. as long as you go prepared with familiar and fave toys, bottles of milk and possible jar of toddler food in case they dont want to eat much afterwards (and if you do use the odd one or two jars) for when they can eat/dirnk afterwards. can usually eat/drink a few hours later but sometimes best to try water first. but as our ds got older he recovered quicker each time and therefore was able to eat/drink within 2/3 hours of waking up. in fact last one or two he came back awake on the trolley with the nurses sat up looking round, vocalising. quite sweet really. but obvioulsy it can be a worrying time. the anaesthetists know what theyre doing and are fully capable of dealing with even the most awkward of children cos they do it every day.

also be peraped for a wait - theres usally always a delay of some sort from leaving the ward to actually going to the scanning area, forms to fill in and re-check all your details with anaesthetists. also they'll probably put in a canula-type thingy in hand, or foot in our case depending oon good veins, all bandaged up when they came back to you to recover - cos theyre using GA and need a 'lifeline' to use from a distance, as they cant be stood with your child during the scan (in computer type room with wondow overlooking the scanner instead but close enough to keep an eye on child)

good luck anyway. oh yes and dont forget changes of clothes, nappies etc and no metal.

hope this is ok - sorry to ramble.

FatFluckerFio Mon 10-Jan-05 07:29:45

Hoipe it goes okay Merlot. As you know we are going to have one for dd in 6 weeks time under GA. Its the GA I am worried about! Let us know how you get on xx

Merlot Mon 10-Jan-05 11:26:29

Charlie - Thanks for the really useful advice. Not a ramble at all, just detailed and helpful!

A little extra question for you - did you follow your little one all the time or because of the GA do you have to wait on the ward for when they return?

Fio - will let you know how we get on. Fingers crossed for your dd's MRI xx

myermay Mon 10-Jan-05 12:29:28

Message withdrawn

meea Mon 10-Jan-05 13:15:24

Ds2 had a mri under ga in August I was terrified as well but it was'nt as bad as I thought it would be.He was so brave did'nt kick up a fuss when they put the canular in. I took him up to have his anesthetic then went back to the ward to wait for them to let us know that he had woken up in recovery.He wasn't happy when he woke up as he came round to quickly and was very distressed but after a sleep and something to eat he was fine.
I was really worried about him not being able to eat as well but to be honest we were running around and in such a rush to get out and to the hospital I don't think he noticed he hadn't eaten.
Ds2 is 2.

sparklymieow Mon 10-Jan-05 13:38:24

Ds has had two MRIs under sedation, one at 2 1/2 and one at 5, DD1 has also had two under sedation, one when she was 13 months and one at 2yrs. DD2 had one done at 1 week old. They aren't as bad as you think they are, I was allowed in every one except DS' first one as I was 28 weeks pregnant with DD1. The machine is noisy, but you will be given earmuffs. They were all fine afterwards, just a bit sleepy.
Hope it goes ok.

Heathcliffscathy Mon 10-Jan-05 13:40:16

thinking of you merlot...

Merlot Mon 10-Jan-05 13:42:10

Thanks guys for all your reassuring advice and kind wishes, much appreciated

Hausfrau Mon 10-Jan-05 14:11:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chonky Mon 10-Jan-05 17:02:41

Will be thinking of you - hope it goes OK.
One thing I'd recommend is take off all your jewellery before you go to the hospital. I spent over an hour trying to get off my wedding ring at the hospital with the help of some KY, only to be told that it'd be OK to wear it - however it would have been far less stressful if I'd just had no jewellery on to start with. Plus, safer to leave your jewellery at home rather than lying around at the hospital.
The MRI itself was fine, and didn't seem to phase dd at all (she was just sedated, next time around I think it'll be a GA).

Dingle Mon 10-Jan-05 17:31:46

Thinking of you-hope it all goes well!

charlie95 Mon 10-Jan-05 18:26:11

merlot - we waited on ward for ds to come back but i dont whether each hospital would be different or not. we usually always had to wait long time before being allowed home afterwards too - to begin with he was so tiny having them we had to stay in overnight, but this turned in to a one day visit as he got older.
something else to be prepared for - just simply waiting around on ward until end of day sometimes.

we usually had hassle of nurses trying to find a dr in order to make sure ds was ok before being discharged, then theres a note from the nurses for us to take to gp so that they knew what had beeen going on too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: