Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Interesting idea on possible cause of autism in today's 'Guardian'

(9 Posts)
ks Fri 07-Jan-05 18:45:49

Message withdrawn

joash Fri 07-Jan-05 18:47:09

Yeah, I read this article as well - certainly makes you wonder if he's right.

ks Fri 07-Jan-05 18:49:02

Message withdrawn

Saker Sat 08-Jan-05 08:43:01

Autism is supposed to be at a higher rate in areas like Silicon Valley in USA and Silicon Fen in Cambridge where there is a concentration of people working in the scientific and computer fields. But I don't know what the actual evidence is, if there is any.

hoxtonchick Sat 08-Jan-05 08:57:45

sbc was my supervisor at cambridge. and my final year project (in 1997...) was about to what extent autistic traits are present in a normal population - are they more prevalent in eg engineers. it's a really interesting idea. hope i didn't screw up the stats too much...

happymerryberries Sat 08-Jan-05 09:05:53

Hoxtonchick, you'd have loved to meet my dh and his brothers then! . They are all NT but chock full of 'traits', Dh most of all. Their jobs pilot (trained as engineer), production engineer, electrical engineer and plumber! What chance my darling ds son then, who is a clone of his dad?

I worked in research and 'non trait' blokes were thin on the ground!

Davros Sat 08-Jan-05 09:38:39

I'm sure I heard that the Silicon Valley thing is a myth.

tallulah Sat 08-Jan-05 10:23:43

Isn't he looking at it the wrong way around? He says engineers produce autistic children- isn't it likely that the fathers are engineers because they have the "autism gene" ?

(my dyspraxic son wants to be an engineer & my ADHD son is maths/science minded, while my one NT son is more language/English minded.)

I've no idea what this embedded figures test is but I would hazard a guess that my DH would be useless at it!!!!

Saker Sat 08-Jan-05 21:37:46

Tallulah, I think that is what he is saying. Davros, this is the article about Silicon Fen / Silicon Valley here . It would be nice to see the figures in black and white though and it may have been discredited since, I don't know.

I can see what he's getting at and I'm not saying that it might not be useful information, but it's not really a cause of autism is it? Many genetic diseases are a result of two people both carrying a particular gene or combination of genes having children. But that's not the cause of the disease, the gene is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now